Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fifty Five Shades of Grey

I told R I did not want a fuss for my birthday, but what has he done? He has closed down St Kilda Road for a procession to celebrate my birthday. Some of my minions look very attractive.


Last night we celebrated my birthday at the Dick Whittington Hotel. I find restaurants hard going for a decent number of people. Pubs are much better if it is more than a few. Staff at the Dick are fantastic, perhaps acknowledging that over many years, we and our friends have spent rather a lot of money there.

Noted that The Dick has turned 150 years old. I must check that out.

All but one partook of Dick liquor. As usual, no one chose the Dick cheese platter. I've never seen anyone have the Dick cheese. I can't imagine why.

Off to a family bash lunch now for my birthday at the Cardinia Club. It sounds much grander than it actually is.

It was going to be me, R, Mother and ABI Brother and Tradie Brother for lunch. The Bellarine Family are busy. The kiddies are normally too busy. But no, Chainsaw Niece, renamed No Make Up Niece and Teacher Niece, renamed Make Up Niece have invited themselves and their partners, and asked Non Dreaded Nephew to come. 

What is going on? Why the sudden interest in Uncle Andrew?

I can only put it down to a remark I made a few months ago when before a show, when we dined with Ex Sis in Law and her daughter Make Up Niece. 'We'll pay for dinner'. 'No no, we will pay our share.' 'It's ok Make Up Niece, it is coming off your inheritance. You get it now or later'. I said nothing about the reverse mortgage that I plan for my old age.

Of course the above in nonsense. Non Make Up Niece found out from her father, Tradie Brother, that he was coming to my birthday lunch and she obviously had nothing on, and nor did Make Up Niece.

Well, the day has begun sunny and with little wind, a good omen to begin my fifty sixth year on planet Earth.


24 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day. I look forward to the write-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, Mother managed to turn it into a 'I wish I was not here' day. I could have stayed home and ironed.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Andrew!
    This is a very funny post btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rubye. What makes it funny, pray tell?

      Delete
    2. yep. funny. and Andrew I'd pay good money to see you with a sunbeam shot of steam and a well padded board. starch or no starch. X X

      Delete
    3. Yeah Ann........ok.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Dick Review.
    Have a Happy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a subject I know a little about.

      Delete
  4. But where is the food review and the photographs of yumminess?
    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit remiss of me River. R had the camera for once. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday old fella and may you enjoy many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windsmoke, I am feeling a little old, with back problems.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday!!!

    BB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Andrew. Dick cheese platter? Eeewww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I am sure it is very nice, but no one ever orders it for me to check. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Andrew, I'm glad you stayed clear of the dick cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Fen. It is the blue vein I steer clear of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Andrew!

    I'm glad that it was you and not me that was offered the dick cheese platter....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kath. No cheese for me.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday Andrew

    Love Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pants. It was a mixed sort of day. More later.

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.