Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I'll drive darls

I read a short piece in the RACV magazine a couple of weeks ago that really made me think about something I had never considered. RACV is our state motoring organisation which along with lobbying for better and more roads, also offers road side help for broken down cars, among many other goods and services.

I will use stereotypes here for the sake of convenience.

A husband, whose wife does not do paid work, retires. They no longer need two cars so they sell her car. He takes over the day to day driving and they rarely go anywhere alone. She starts to lose her driving skills and road confidence. There comes a day when she just no longer drives at all. Her husband has a stroke and along with the stress of dealing with illness, she has the added stress of having to drive, not having done so for years.

Usually among couples, one or the other is the usual driver, rarely sharing equally. I would suggest that allowing the non usual driver to drive at least one quarter of the time is a good idea to keep their driving skills intact for as long as possible.

Me(ouch, someone hit my knuckles) I being the usual driver needs to remember the point I have made.

Can't you see I am getting old when I start thinking about things like this!

11 comments:

  1. Why did you cross out "Me" when it is correct and "I" is wrong? If you had written "I am" that would be correct.
    I think you're right about letting the non driver take turns with driving, but I'd say equal turns is better than just one quarter of the time. For instance, one partner could drive to and the other partner could drive home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think I is correct. I quote my personal grammar checker, who recently pulled me up.

      'Me, not being at all sporting, does not suffer from such injuries.'

      The grammatical rule is that, if you are the subject, you refer to yourself in the first person. So the sentence should read,

      I, not being at all sporting, do not suffer from such injuries.

      I suggested a quarter of time because often one person doesn't want to drive or does not like driving.

      Delete
    2. River, it would have been better if I said, As I am the usual driver....

      Delete
    3. Yes, as I am is what I meant, but I still say Me is acceptable, so many people use it, I thought it was correct. Maybe I should go back to school...

      Delete
    4. River, I was making a point about using I. If it sounds unnatural, and sometimes the correct does sound unnatural, I will use what I feel comfortable with.

      Delete
  2. I is the subject [person] who acts. Me is the object [person or thing] on the receiving end of the action e.g. "[you]Give it to me".

    In the sentence you started above, you are correct to note "I" is the subject of the verb "to need", though "I need" would be better than I needs.

    You is spots on.
    Regular driving practice in built up areas is vital. If R drives some of the time to maintain his confidence and keep his reflexes sharp, this will be good insurance against the possibility that you may one day need him to drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FC. Really, it was a poor sentence.

      With R's new employment, he is driving more kilometres than I do.

      Delete
  3. Have you been speaking to my mum? That is EXACTLY what happened! She is still very very annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Hels! The personal proves the point.

      Delete
  4. A very pertinent point indeed. I wish I had someone to drive me about!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, but at least you will keep your skill up, because you have to.

      Delete