Thursday, October 18, 2012

Greasy Greiner

I never liked that Greiner bloke when he was Premier of New South Wales but he has a plan. A plan to relieve Sydney's chronic traffic and transport problems.

It is no surprise to me that he comes up with a solution of building more freeways, or in this case, probably tollways that can earn money for his him and his rich mates. Even someone with the dimmest of intellects now knows what happens when you build more freeways. Unsurprisingly they fill up with traffic. I have seen this happen so many times. I recall arriving in Sydney by car on a Friday night around 2000, using the M5 and South Dowling Street. At one point, I almost gave up and headed back to Melbourne. On another visit, I recall the being in a tunnel of the same M5 and almost choking to death on engine fumes. I feel sorry for the locals who must put up with such conditions all the time.

What else did Greiner come up with? Well, he did not come up with any new train lines, a sure way to ease traffic problems.

A second harbour rail crossing? Nah, we won't do that. Stick an impossibly expensive construction figure on that and no one will want it.

I have hard that in the worst case, it can take fifty minutes to travel from Central in the south of the city to the Quay in the north. It is not so far, yet the sheer number of cars and buses makes it an incredibly slow trip. So how about one street closed to traffic with a light rail connecting the two? One tram can replace three buses or more and are so much more comfortable. Greiner says no.

Greiner is not totally against trams. He wouldn't mind one running from the University of New South Wales to Central. Well, is that where everyone along the way wants to go? Many would no doubt, but at best it would only service two city railway stations, when there are about half a dozen. Run it on from Central to the Quay, and it is starting to look really useful. On to The Rocks, Barangaroo and Darling Harbour and the crowds will flock to it. How many buses would that remove from city streets? A lot. If built as I suggest, it would be so successful from day one, it would have to be expanded.

Greiner does have a plan for buses though. Put them in tunnels underground at a cost of $2 billlion or more. Ah, Melbourne had such a plan for trams many years ago. The stupidity of the idea was noticed before anything was seriously done.

Greiner is a tosser.

10 comments:

  1. The often suggested tram between Central and UNSW would be very useful. Thousands of students travel that route daily now in specially dedicated buses. The route is close to Oxford Street and passes the Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney Cricket Ground, the so-called Entertainment Quarter (formerly Fox Studios) and Randwick Racecourse, plus some thriving (heaving?) suburbs.

    Central Station is connected to the City Rail network.

    What makes the suggestion even more attractive is that quite a few sections of the old tram corridor are still available. I wish a Government, any Government, would pull their fingers out and get started on the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts of Anazac Parade are bus only, along the old tram reservation. We caught an express bus along there one morning and it moved at a cracking pace until the end of the reservation. It really is a very obvious route but should it go down Oxford St or a bit further south?

      Delete
  2. Sydney had a perfectly viable tram system, until some moron pulled it out. I was going to ask if any of the old tram corridors were still intact, and Victor answered it :)

    The trains are great in Sydney, but the buses stink. And buses hurtle themselves around corners like lunatics. My inlaws lived in Bondi...I know the eastern suburbs very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, its tram system was huge, perhaps twice as large as ours. I don't think any other corridors exist. The sole tram runs mostly on an old railway goods line as is its extension now under construction.

      The buses do stink and are so noisy, but I love the way they are often driven flat out and if you don't signal the driver, you don't catch the bus. I hate the nightmare change from train to bus at Bondi Junction to get to Bondi Beach.

      The trains always seem to be late when I have used them. Perhaps I am unlucky. I don't like that they have so many un airconditioned trains and nor do I like the plastic windows that over time have become translucent. New trains are coming soon, so I guess these older ones will be retired.

      Delete
  3. Andrew and Hels, one area of transport in Sydney has had a lot of money spent on it by the previous and present Governments and that is buses. There are many new ones including articulated buses. I travelled on three buses today and they were fine apart from the scratched windows. If they stink then I must have become accustomed to the smell because I haven't noticed it.

    BTW, there are still extensive tram corridors along Anzac Parade almost to the old terminus at La Perouse which is a considerable distance and where there isn't a corridor the available road is for the most part quite wide by Sydney standards (or dual carriageway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I can't speak for Hels, but I meant the smell of diesel outside the buses, in the street. I recall Nifty Nev buying a lot of new buses in the early eighties, and I think they are nearly all gone, if not already.

      While it never occurred to me, I have heard the bus trip to La Perouse is quite picturesque. From UNSW would be a good start.

      Delete
  4. I had a book quote that would make the perfect comment here, but I've lost it, dagnabit! something about transport systems grinding to a halt while everyone stuffs around looking for a solution to the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dagnabit River? A corruption of dang it? If you come across it again, I would like to hear it.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:05 pm

    I don't think we have had freeways here in Sydney for years - if they can bang a toll on it they will.

    Don't hold your breath for any great transport improvements happening in Sydney. We is broke still paying off the 2000 Olympics and inept pollies and their hangers on.

    The only vision they have is for themselves in retirement on a fat pension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, the costs of road travel tolls are way to high in Sydney. Ours are bad enough. Surely something must happen in Sydney. It can't go on much longer how it is.

      Delete