Saturday, October 20, 2012

Check your speling

Between the time when we referred to the dictionary to check spelling and your computer spell checker, there was an interim period. There was a machine to check your spelling and help you with words. To make it work, I would have to put four AAA batteries into it, and I can't be bothered.


Essentially you put your badly spelt word into the machine and it would correct the word or give you options. While it was a little slow to use, only marginally quicker than picking up a dictionary, it was quite a clever machine, but no match for today's spell checkers. Must apologise for the years of grime build up. Household management has been slack. Ah, hang on, cleaning fiddly things is my job, oh dear. I should have turned the camera flash off. It doesn't look that bad when sitting on the shelf. I think I'll just put it away now, perhaps never to be seen again.

16 comments:

  1. What were the first three words you checked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I finally checked your heading.

      Delete
    2. It did not recognise the first few words at all FC ;)

      Delete
  2. Spell Checkers are useless for those of us who write English instead of American. I'm pretty good with my spelling, but if I need to check something I'll check out the big old dictionary my eldest had in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so. American dictionaries are chockablock full of spelling errors so I also use a proper, hard copy Oxford dictionary any time I need assistance. And I expect students to check their spelling as well!

      Delete
    2. River, we have, I think, our keyboard set to Aussie English, otherwise I choose British English. I find spell checkers an aid rather than a bible.

      Hels, at school, Websters used to be the bible, which is odd as it was American, I think.

      Delete
    3. That won't help you since Australian English has been wilfully defined as the same as American English in my computerised spell checker. If you want proper spelling, you MUST reset for British English.

      Delete
    4. Hels, our Word programme and Windows Live Mail certainly spells in Australian.

      Delete
  3. Give me my trusty Collins English Dictionary anyday no high tech gizmos for me. In answer to your question a couple of posts i'm now 57 years old and refuse to think of myself as old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you are my senior then Windsmoke. Collins is British I think.

      Delete
    2. I have a good Collins which provides both US and British and tells which is which.

      Delete
    3. FC, I think even the Oxford offers American alternatives.

      Delete
  4. Well there you go, I've never seen or heard of the spel chek mashine haha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, as you are clearly such a good speller, it would be of no use to you.

      Delete