Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Carlton Snapped

I was up Carlton way. Once you cross Victoria Street on Swanston Street, you are officially in Carlton. It has rather a mix of buildings with some quite poor quality high rise buildings built to hold the many many overseas students. They are often described as hot shoe boxes.

This one is colourful, if nothing else. Did you know University of Melbourne, within Carlton, has its own postcode, 3010?

The Queensbridge Hotel. Pubs and students go remarkably well together.

This to be demolished building is unremarkable and housed the offices of the Electrical Trades Union. I was very amused by their blatant visible support on the building fa├žade for a Greens candidate rather than a Labor candidate, a couple of elections ago.

What was that song my father used to sing? Little boxes, on the hillside and they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same. Something like that.You can hear it here.

A bit of facadism happening here. I've seen worse.

An 'interesting' building commissioned by Royal Melbourne Instituted of Technology. RMIT does have a history of such things, mostly bad, but I don't mind this one.


Can you work out what business is conducted in this pair of terraces, now one place. Clues are, privacy and the colour of the awnings. Apparently men arrive and.......no, I won't go into it.

A colourful passing tram, advertising Madagascar. As I can see a date, it must be a movie, rather than an ad from the Madagascan Tourism Authority. The green on the road is a designated bicycle lane, Copenhagen style, and it was Melbourne's first. It seems to work well enough with the biggest problem being pedestrians absent mindedly walking across the lane.

The City Baths were extensively renovated internally in the 1980s and the exterior was restored. It was money well spent and has since been well maintained.

Not keen on this one, on the site of the old Carlton and United Breweries. It was supposed to have the within its face a portrait of William Barak. Developer's cutesyisms often get dropped.

The disused tramway signal box, once used to direct trams to the old Victoria Street shunts or trams going on to East Coburg and Moreland. We are in Melbourne CBD now, Central Business District.

Pop star Pink is in Australia. I wonder if she had visited a pink building. She might quite like 'There's no other store like.....'.

A rather odd temporary building on the banks of the Yarra. There was some drinking and carousing going on there the one evening last week as we passed by when returning from the theatre. Possibly it is something to do with Melbourne Festival.

18 comments:

  1. Studentville has gone from gentrification to uglification. And you would think that business in the red terrace could afford to fix the lace on the top balcony - it looks tacky, not respectably upmarket at all.

    Is there a loo for tram drivers under that signal box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, the university that ate Carlton is pretty well responsible. I had not noticed about the lace work, but yes, tacky. I looked at the original photo and there is a cleaner in a van and some windows with a cross concrete pattern on them and what looks like louvres behind them, so I would say there is a good chance of there being a lav there.

      Delete
  2. Of my favourite place! If you have one, please add a photo of the late Victorian terraces. They are gorgeous.

    When the Jews arrived in Melbourne, most families got jobs and moved straight to Carlton. Thus everyone I know was born in Carlton or lived there, at least until 1960. I go back there as often as possible, to see the houses, parks, university, Exhibition Building and Lygon St shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am a bit curious about why Carlton died as a Jewish area and St Kilda exploded, even though there were already many Jews in St Kilda. Socio economic divide?

      Delete
  3. I see you've been out and about giving your new camera a work out. Like Fruit Cake i to spied the missing lace work on the red terraced bagnio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong Windsmoke, they were from the old camera. With things like this, I am often a week or two behind posting, hence my thirty draft posts. Always something to work on and make right.

      Delete
  4. Never been much a fan of that first building you showed 9i.e. the one that belongs to Melb Uni with the pastel colours). I do, however, like the new RMIT buildings. They are very creative with architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, creative they are, but until this one, I would deem RMIT unsuccessful with their architectural experiments, eg Storey Hall.

      Delete
  5. "site of the old Carlton and United Breweries. It was supposed to have the within its face a portrait of William Barak."

    Oh dear! I remember looking at the plans for that development with interest a few years ago - now it just looks like a boxy lemon zester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I missed taking one photo. The doorway of the old brewery is still there.

      A lemon zester is a good description but it looks coarse enough to be a grater.

      Delete
  6. Those hot boxes get the afternoon/early evening sun, it's unrelenting. The windows barely open too, they'd be horrendous.

    I used to watch a lot of men go in and out of that building when I caught the tram near there. Spent a bit of time at the Queensbridge Hotel too, it's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, they do indeed. If the sun is out, they will heat up quickly. Only the very newest seem to have air con.

      I prefer to see the men exit the place, somewhat poorer and regretful, until the sap rises again.

      Delete
  7. You found the Ticky Tacky song!
    I have to listen to it.
    Carlton certainly ha an eclectic mix of styles going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, hey, it was good to hear it again. I never realised that it was a real social comment song.

      Delete
  8. Haha ... you know you're getting older when ads just don't make sense!! I'm not making fun of you - I'm commiserating!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, ah, you mean the tram ad. I feel a little culturally lost at times. Who is Rhonda?

      Delete
  9. I kind of like the RMIT building. I'd like to see it from the inside.

    By the way:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoXtddNPAM

    Happy to have discovered your blog. I miss Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I can see rows and rows of fluoro tubes inside the building. I am not sure it would be so good. Love that song. My father used to sing it.

      Delete