Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Around the bay by bike Part 1

Sister and Bone Doctor cycled half of the Around the Bay on Sunday, something like 100 kilometres. They did not really do half the bay as they started at Queenscliff instead of Geelong and finished at the city point and then drove Bone Doctor's truck back to the Bellarine. Sister drove the truck up on Friday and left it in our car space and then caught the train to Geelong with her bike and cycled home.

I suggested to Tradie Brother that he should pop down to Frankston from the swamps of Langwarrin to see his sister pass by. He thought he could sit in one of the pubs that is on every corner of a Frankston intersection and see her pass by. No Tradie Brother, she will be but a flash in the same colours as everyone else.

But what about Little Jo? The Highrisers will look after her. Plans of trains and later, buses, went by the way and we ended up driving down to the Bellarine to look after Little Jo while Sister and Bone Doctor cycled. 

We deliberately stayed a bit hungry on the Saturday so we could call into Corio Maccas for an old man back stretch. A break there is something like a twenty year old tradition. We used to let our dogs have a run there when we were travelling west.

We arrived at Sister's in time for a walk to the beach, via a sporting oval to fire air pumped rockets to the sky. Dog Fuzzy was in close attendance, but would not fetch the rockets back.

The tide was in and so there was no exposed sand. No matter. It is so good to watch the waves coming and going at the Rip.

Sister's and Bone Doctor's house looked quite tidy when we arrived. They had clearly made an effort for us. It is ages since I have been there. They now have the lounge room quite nice, with a large screen lcd tv and a leather lounge suite. The tidiness did not last too long.

Sister cooked us a stir fry. I am spoilt by R's most excellent cooking. We chilled for a bit and it was a very early night, all in bed by ten.

I slept on a bed settee in the lounge room. I closed the windows so that the birds did not wake me in the morning. The birds woke me in the morning regardless. The house was astir by 6. Sister and Bone Doctor cycled off and caught the seven o'clock ferry to Sorrento.

We gave Little Jo a bath, cleaned up as best we could and put the dishes into the Bosch and turned it on, and watched some kids tv. Ok, I may have had the notebook machine with me, connected to the net via my phone.

A typical beach side town residential street. It was very pleasant evening walk.

Little Jo's secret tunnel.

The tide was in and waves were crashing into the rocks.

It is a very nice and safe beach for swimming, but the beach disappears at high tide.

Sister has a gardener who comes every so often. He has improved the garden quite a bit.

It is said that high achievers have messy desks and Bone Doctor could be put in that category. Our desk is neat as a pin, which clearly makes us low achievers.

It was very pleasant to sit at the new outdoor setting in the back garden under the vine covered pergola. Unfortunately, the vine was dropping seeds or unformed grapes?, millions of them. No sooner did I sweep the table off, and more fell. In the distance, the crashing waves can be heard.


11 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely getaway for city slickers like yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it was ok, but I like the white noise of the city, above the morning calls of birds.

      Delete
  2. The Bone Doctor's desk may look messy, but I bet she knows exactly where every bit of paper is.

    Love Jo's secret tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I expect so. Our friend used to have about four desks similarly arranged in a converted garage, and he knew where everything was.

      Delete
  3. Going from Queenscliff instead of Geelong was inspired since that provides some of Victoria's most gorgeous coastline. Between rides, the coffee culture around that part of the state is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I would call it cheating actually. I was always an eastern side of the bay person, but the western side is pretty good.

      Delete
  4. 100kms? I can barely get around the block and haven't touched my bike since Easter.

    The photos are lovely, I like to see waves crashing on rocks and Jo's tunnel is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I remember your bike. The weather is ok now, get out and have a ride.

      It is a great beach and re Little Jo's tunnel, she doesn't know it, but she is a very privileged child.

      Delete
  5. You paint a pretty picture Andrew, my desk is very messy...what does that mean U wonder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, clearly you are a high achiever, or perhaps my theory is wrong.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.