Tuesday, October 09, 2012

A St Kilda visit

This building in now known as Crest on Barkly, a four star hotel. Laughingly its blurb says it is eight minutes from the city. Perhaps, by car, assuming the car has flight mode. It used to be known at the Beverley Crest, a place where you could imbibe as well as stay. It was featured in a television soap opera, perhaps The Box.

Normally when you are driving, I would strongly suggest you watch the road, but if you going through St Kilda Junction east bound along Queensway, do glance up to your right and give a nod of respect to the Corroboree Tree, an over three hundred year old river red gum sacred to our Aborigines.


Rather than walk the length of this barrier and then about an equal distance back to the tram stop, am I really expected to back track and use a convoluted pedestrian subway? Would the person who ordered the signs do so? Would the person who decided on the placement of the signs do so? I very much doubt it. Not a single person in the world who was familiar with the tram stop would do so.


What time would it take to walk to the tram stop? Twenty seconds from where I am standing, across the road from a huge office block. Am I really expected to walk back along the path on the far right, wait for the long cycle traffic lights to cross the road, go down the steps or ramp under the road and then up again to get to the tram stop? This would take about three to four minutes at least. I assume this is the work of Yarra Trams and I may well make a proper complaint about such puerile nonsense. Clearly our tram company is heavily into self protection mode, as there actually aren't proper paths from where I am, yet the way is trodden by hundreds ever day. This really is a Vic Roads issue from when St Kilda Junction was built.


This Australian native hangs down from St Kilda Junction to Queensway. It is to the side but it is low enough to be struck by a truck. It quite amuses me as I pass by. No doubt at the moment, its care has not been specified on Vic Road's contractor's list. It is going to keep growing but let it be, I say.


Holy Sheet! After many years of trading,  Holy Sheet in Acland Street has closed down.


After a long period of non operation by the clock on The Esplanade (incorrectly called the Upper Esplanade but there are historical reason why people know it as the Upper Esplanade), the clock is once again working. Clock repair contractors were employed but they refused to work until the vermin was cleared from the tower, so rodent removal contractors were employed. No doubt the cost to ratepayers has been huge. That is me by the way. City of St Kilda (now Port Phillip) should have never given redundancy to their rat catcher who was a jack of all trades and could have probably fixed the clock too.

10 comments:

  1. There is a corroboree tree in St Kilda? I hope it's connected to an oxygen supply - I doubt photosynthesis will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, it is not in great shape because of its age, and no doubt traffic fumes, but it looked after with great care.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to make two points.

    Firstly StKilda is my favourite stamping ground in all of Australia and I hate change. The Beverley Crest should have kept its name; Holy Sheet should not have closed; and the tram lines were perfectly fine where they used to be.

    Secondly it is great that the Catani Clock has been fixed. His contribution to the foreshore was too important to dick around with, endlessly.

    Hels
    http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/carlo-catani-planning-melbournes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am a bit like you, but I we have to be adaptable if we don't want to end up old and bitter, lol.

      While I knew about the Catani Gardens, I did not know of the Catini connection to the rest, thanks. I saw a photo of the Esplanade wall before it was replaced by the present Besser brick type material. It was quite nice.

      Delete
  3. It's quite probable that the tram/road/footpath nexus is 'managed' by 17 different bodies across all levels of government and community. If so, don't hold your breath for a resolution!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so Red. The signs were clearly put there as protection for one of bodies involved.

      Delete
  4. I'm not at all familiar with St Kilda, so I'll take your word on things here. The tram stop walkabout seems odd, you'd have to add an extra half hour to your outing if you were to follow the rules and walk where directed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is just plain silly but I doubt it will change unless there is a major make over.

      Delete
  5. You remind me of a dear friend Andrew, who writes the odd letter or two to express his displeasure over things that seem nonsense to him..thank goodness, most people are so apathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, writing such letters are less important now as all these places employ media monitors who graze the www for mentions of there business or authority.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.