Saturday, September 15, 2012

Look, Up in the sky

A helicopter passed by the Highrise rather close. We are very used to helicopters passing by, mostly transporting emergency cases to the Alfred Hospital, but still I look up if I am outside on the balcony. Down below in the street, a toddler walking with I presume her grandfather, ignored the noise of the helicopter. Her grandfather did not point out the chopper to his grand daughter. It was all ignored as noise intrusion I suppose, or just white noise.

Old people are quite fond of making their opinions known about child rearing and what twenty first century children should be doing. They ought to be outside playing, not indoors playing electric games and using computer machines. When Mother was sick of we childrens' noise and horseplay, she would tell us to go outside and play, and we would, for hours.

I am adaptable. Times change. I am not about to lecture about what children do now in 2012, especially when I sit here at a computer machine for many hours, typing and clicking away, when I should be reading tomes of history or physically exercising. When I was young, I never stopped reading, day and night. I was excited when the cereal packet design was changed and I had something new to read. As a young adult, still I read. Now in the computer age, I miss reading books, but still I read, mostly on a screen. One day, when I have more time, I will set aside an hour a day for book reading and read before I sleep.

Because as a kid I used to get so excited about seeing a plane, or so rarely a helicopter, I feel a little sad that such things don't enthral the kiddies like they used to me.

I suppose in my childhood there weren't the number of flying machines around. I took my first flight at the age of 22. Thirty something years later, Little Jo had flown at least six times by the age of four.

Strange old world.

15 comments:

  1. Aeroplane travel was a rarity for the rich and fortunate when we were children Andrew. We could but look on in wonder at those miracle tubes that could fly when we stood at the open tarmacs in a visit to the Aerodrome on a Sunday outing.

    We could not have envisaged that flying would be as common and occasionally as comparatively cheap as a suburban tram trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who would have thought of all the lines and security we are forced to pass through nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true... children growing up in earlier generations did miss out on a lot. But think of all the things you DID have that youngsters now have never heard of eg bonfires and crackers two nights of the year, bathing boxes right on the beach, caravan holidays at Point Lonsdale etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to first two comments.
    As for children these days, they are a different breed as to when we were young. What was life for a kid then, climbing trees, collecting birds eggs for school nature studies, horse riding, playing sports without padding and helmets.
    Now it is computer games,MacDonalds, mobile phones for all manner of usages,rudeness, impolite, over indulged and protected species.
    I am sure that we had by far the better life and also we could spell and add up!!!!!
    Colin.
    PS: I wonder could these three responses be translated into SMS talk - like R U 3 OK!!!! ????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victor, I really need to adjust my mindset. And back then, who could have imagined what a horrible experience it would be, checking in among pandemonium, squashed into far too small seats and munching on cardboard.

    Good point Rubye. That just made the whole business a whole lot worse.

    Hels, while at times I think it is a miracle that some of us survived childhood to become adults, I wouldn't swap my childhood for a present day one.

    Maybe it could be translated Colin, starting with older people complaining about younger people. It was ever thus. It is our generational duty, as those before did about us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrew thanks for stopping by Kangaroos of the Scrubby Bush. I'm glad to have a bit of time to blog and visit today. I replied there, but in case that doesn't reach you, yes roos can swim quite well. I too am sad that kids don't seem to have that same sense of magic to see a plane or helicopter... they must wonder about the fuss for Neil Armstrong! Good to be back in touch. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, that is what it was, a sense of magic. It is now a lot harder for kids to get a sense of magic. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still stop and look at helicopters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fen, you are just a lovely big kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember planes being so rare even adults would stop in the streets and watch one fly far overhead. I don't remember when they became so commonplace as to be just another plane. I still look up and wonder now and again, where are they going? where are they from? And I think babies and toddlers should still be told "look! there's a plane/helicopter", if only so that they will learn to look around and see things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Children these days have a VERY different childhood than we had back in our days.

    I'm not sure if one is better or worse. I think there's pros and cons in each.

    And nostalgia often makes us long for OUR good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. River, I agree about being taught to observe. I still look too.

    Dina, people do bang on now about helicopter parents, ever careful about the child's welfare, but gee a lot of kids used to get hurt in my childhood. I doubt any did not break a bone sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Look mum, a double winger!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't talk to me about double wingers. Woken too early this morning by an old bi plane buzzing around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're over here at times, from Laverton.

    ReplyDelete