Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Just Dandy

R had an appointment in Dandenong. As we had the opportunity, we could shear two sheep with one stone and go on to Mother's.
While R went about his business, I killed time in the main street, well just off the main street of Dandenong. This is the Town Hall, well remembered by me as Lonsdale Street used to be part of Australia's Highway 1.

 
Not my photo but this animated neon sign, the oldest in Victoria, advertising Dandy Hams and Bacon, has long disappeared but how it enchanted us children as we passed by.

I have fond childhood memories of Dandenong, when my grandfather used to sometimes take us to the Dandenong Market. It was not very far from the centre of town and it was a cattle market as well I think. My grandfather would be more than surprised, should he still be alive, to learn of Payday Advances and Halal Charcoal Chicken.

The 901 Smart Bus travels through the the street where I was sitting. It travels from down Frankston way to Altona Beach I think, Melbourne Airport via a very outer route. The trip takes about four hours to complete.

This is a first class butcher, fishmonger and green grocer and it was very busy, even at ten in the morning. I wish we had a shop like this near us.

Dandenong is an area of low socio economic status now. There are a lot of brown people there now. I don't mean the brown people who serve us in supermarkets and at petrol stations, I mean the very very brown people who are rarely seen in my part of town. I suppose the local council can't control what shops look like. The Hi Viz bloke was not unattractive.

Intellectual pretensions in Dandenong? Not at all. Some heavily clothed Asian guys with long and dyed hair, one carrying a guitar, started a game of chess while I was sipping coffee.

These last photos are of offenders breaching the bus only street. This is a small selection of what I snapped in twenty minutes.  Even as a stranger to the town, I noticed the street where I planned to turn into had a sign, No Left Turn, No Entry, Buses only. The cars in the first photos do not get a green light to turn. They are faced with a white 'B' for bus light, and away they go. If the point of having a bus only street, admittedly with a lane for cars to access a car park, is to reduce the number of cars in the bus only street, then it is a success. If the point is to have no cars in the street, it is a failure. The more cars I saw using the street, the more annoyed I became at such blatant lawlessness. Instead of discreetly snapping the cars as I begun, I stood boldly and faced them with the lens. There is only one way to stop cars using a bus street and I thought I had posted about it already, but I can't find the post in a search. I will post it as Friday's You Tube vid.




14 comments:

  1. Did they call out 'Howdy Sheriff' at the sight of you and your camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the joy of Dandenong and surrounding suburbs is that families can afford decent family homes there. But then you have to hope that public transport into the city is regular, reliable and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor, there are times when I wish I was a cop.

    Hels, I think PT is pretty good for the area. The only real issue perhaps is the crime ridden Dandenong Station.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Payday Advances. OH, funny!

    Poor old Dandenong, it's a shit. So is Footscray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the giant chess set and those bins of fruit are very colourful.

    I know of a few people who are constantly getting payday advances, because they're short of cash, because they've had to pay back last week's advance...it's a vicious circle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RH, that is what I said, lower socio economic. Just another couple of words for what you said more briefly.

    River, do they work in paid employment? How that facility with extraordinarily high interest rates was ever allowed, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to Dandenong once. I got lost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FC, you didn't mean to go to Dandenong. I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One day I think I'll catch the bus from one end to the other. I must admit that there are very few people on the bus when it comes through Heidelberg. I was surprised to hear today that bus patronage has gone up- it doesn't seem that way when you see empty buses roaring past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janine, I expect it is at a low point when passing through Heidelberg. It was certainly busy enough in Dandenong, in both directions. I would guess it is well used near Ringwood and perhaps some other places. I do from observation that my bus, Sunshine area to Brighton is much busier than it used to be. Many extra bus routes have been created and there has been some refinement. While the economics of all these extra routes are not always good, they are a service and of course do increase numbers. I guess most of the extra passengers have come from the bus from North Melbourne Station to Melb Uni and Huntingdale to Monash Uni.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A couple are in paid employment, but not steady work, one is always short because of spending too much time at the TAB, others just blow their Centrelink allowances too quickly and have no cash handy. In cases like this I believe the new "basics" card used only for groceries will be beneficial. Some of them have maxed out credit cards almost continuously. I'm astounded how they can spend money this way, with no thought for bills coming in. And you can't tell them, they won't listen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. River, I don't think I could cope with the stress of living like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:09 am

    if you think driving in dandenog is bad try driving in miami florida and it is worth your life to ride public transportation. only fool borrows money to by things they don't need and when you borrow to pay back borrowed money you are screwed.i am an american conservitave who met some aussie soldiers while in viet nam 1968

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anon, yes borrowing to repay borrowings is the beginning of the end. I forgive you for being a conservative and I apologise on behalf of Australia for your unfortunate encounter in Vietnam. PS I hope you see that as a bit humourous.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.