Saturday, July 14, 2012

Malaysia Day 7

Manny collected us early and a pause for a drink and petrol, we sped along the motorway to the Cameron Highlands turn off. Sped is a word I don't use lightly. I saw the speedo of the Audi touch 180 k/mh, about 110mph. I was checking, yes crash barriers both sides. I was about to experience a best of in my lifetime.


We stopped off at some falls along the way, just as a minibus full of Japanese arrived. Their tour guide was loud. One old man positioned a banana in front of his crotch for a group photo shot.


Wow, we have taken a detour to England.

Even modest housing has Tudor features.

We stopped off a cafe that overlooks a tea plantation. Naturally our refreshment was a cup of the local tea. Now I am more a coffee drinker, but I don't mind tea and I have the occasional cup. I had the best cup of tea I have ever had. I don't know how they do it, but it was just wonderful. The temperature had dropped somewhat and it was quite lovely sitting and overlooking the tea plantation with a fine cuppa.
 
Meanwhile back in England, we found the Smokehouse.

It was now only 22 degrees and the sun was shining weakly. Even up here, the Indonesians were burning. The Smokehouse garden was lovely.


Of course if you are in England you must have Devonshire tea. No doubt colonial administrators and their families found the climate up here much more to their liking.

 That would be Ficus Pimula growing on the stair rail.

Our waiter was an older Indian man. He had an English air about him. He had either lived in England or had watched a lot of English tv. A fly appeared and I gave it the Great Australian Wave. I must apologise Sir. They have used manure fertiliser on the golf course opposite. It is being renovated as the Sultan is not getting any younger and parts were too steep for his golf buggy.
 The open windows indicate that we are not in England and cool fresh air is being let in too the guest rooms.

 It does get cool enough in the evening to have a fire.

 Christmas in July in the dining room.



All good things must come to an end. Manny declared he would never visit the Cameron Highlands again on a Saturday. It took us a about one hour to travel ten kilometres.

We pressed on to Penang. This is the seven kilometre long bridge from the mainland of Malaysia to the island of Penang.

10 comments:

  1. You travel in style but see everything.

    Man you are thorough!

    I went the length of Malaysia on a motorbike, all I saw were rubber trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed with the prettiness of the Smokehouse, especially the gardens. I'm also surprised about the banana in the Japanese group shot. It seems such an odd thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I want to see the real India."

    Adele, in E M Forster's A Passage to India. But an Indian touched her on the bum in a cave. Or so she thought.

    Races divide. It don't take much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I studied the book at night school.

    Forster was a gay man. But not at night school, not back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:10 pm

    Think I'll have to add the tearoom to my list; that Devonshire tea looked divine!! V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not always in style RH. I could not call the Reunification Express from Hanoi to Saigon as style. But we are older now and do like our comforts. Do the length of Malaysia now and all you will see is palm trees, grown for sugar.

    River, Smokehouse was quite gorgeous and hey we sat outside without shade and it was not hot. Of course the Indonesians were burning, so the sky was hazy. The Japs were in a humorous mood and having a laugh, albeit a little too loudly.

    RH, too cryptic for me. Yes Forster was gay. He was also a good writer.

    V, it was as good, nay better, as you would get in Sassafrass, but with attentive service and not expensive. R said he would liked to have stayed there, but I wonder what you would do during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's fun being in one country and feeling you're in another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dina, apart from the higher humidity, we really could have been in England.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So surprising - and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was quite a surprise Kath. Once out of the garden though, you knew you were still in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete