Thursday, June 14, 2012

A tramp around the park

Screw it. I just thought instead of just doing one photo on top of another, I would try to make this post look visually appealing. It has nearly had me tearing my hair out and the only thing to do now is to start a new post, paste the text in and upload the photos again with my normal placement.

But I am over it and I am not going to do it again. God knows what this will look like.









It was a gloomy damp day when R, Sister, Bone Doctor, Little Jo and myself took a walk in Fawkner Park. Little Jo half heartedly tried to kick through piles of leaves, but they were just too wet. Eventually we arrived at the rather good kiddies playground where Little Jo joined Harriet and Travis McNaughton-Smythe and Dinesh and Saneeta Singh on the play equipment. Even though all appeared to be about five years old, they still weren't seeing colour or class. None took notice of what each wore, Harriet and Travis in Burberry, Dinesh and Saneeta in their Target branded clothes and Little Jo in her op shop 2 for $1 garments. That Harriet and Travis lived in a very expensive two storey terrace house, Dinesh and Saneeta in a rented flat and Little Jo in the bush mattered nowt to them.

A few years ago, City of Melbourne drew up a master plan for the park and I made a bit of a contribution to the plan. Most of what I suggested was pretty obvious and I think all the work has now been completed. What I don't remember being on the plan is this area we came across in the middle of the park, some distance from the path we normally walk.

A sand pit.

I am not sure of the purpose of this but Little Jo decided it was a stage and gave a performance.






See the bits of round metal in the boards? If you step on them, they ring a bell that sounds rather like a tram bell.

19 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that they ring a bell and the kids probably love it even more. Nice park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIG balls, a sandpit with bells sounds ideal, something for everyone :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun, and there are no signs saying older little people not allowed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoo, that sounds like a fab park to explore in decent weather.
    Congrats, you've made the park look windswept and interesting with your photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rubye, fortunately the bells aren't too loud.

    Windsmoke, yet not so enticing as the normal play equipment.

    FC, indeed we all had a turn at ringing the bells.

    Thanks Jayne. It is nice park, but that day nothing looked too nice in the leaden grey skies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew I've been offering a startling confession on another blog about my days as a Housing Commission tenant, it involves fine upstanding respectable old bastards who hated kids being on the estate. It involves evil and I'm sorry to use the word. As the single parent of a pre-schooler I had a stupendous battle with old men and women of caucasian appearance who hated kids. There was no playground, even though there was plenty of space for one, anything I put out on the grass for kids to play on got complained about or damaged by these miserable old c*nts who hated me more than anything else for letting my little girl play with ethnic kids. What I'm saying is I've known some dangerous and formidable street scum but these blue-rinsed grannies with husbands in grey slacks and polished tan shoes were the most tenacious I've ever been up against.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:20 pm

    What are they doing to Fawkner park?! Bells! A sandpit! What's next? A water feature? : )

    I can see the possums running along the bells at night. Reckon they'd have a great ol' time! V.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I'd be dashing up and down those boards in an effort to create 'jingle bells'!

    Understand your frustration with the photos and the gaps - I find so often that my posts look decent in 'draft' and then appear as scattered chaos when published.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RH, I gather they weren't HC residents then? People like that can be very useful is something needs saving, but kid hating is not an admirable quality.

    V, a body of water was one of my suggestions, you have just reminded me. The park is looking very fine at the moment, especially after the great possum removal in 2011. Just kidding.

    Kath, mine did not even look right in draft. Why doesn't put things where you want them to go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kids will dream up all sorts of things, it's a wonderful characteristic. Of course a sandpit is a stage :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What? We were ALL residents, but some decided they owned the place. These aren't types to save anything, the only time they got off their arses was to peep through their curtains at other tenants. For heavens sake!- did you read what I said?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't be fooled, the devil wears Fletcher Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a very pretty park Andrew, and you had a hand in making it so? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's very cool that you contributed to the park plans.

    It looks like a great park.

    I love Little Jo's imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fen, it is great to watch kids invent scenes with their imaginations.

    RH, I did read what you wrote, but blue rinses, grey slacks and polished tan shoes did not fit with the stereotypical image.

    River, a tiny bit I suppose. I didn't want it planted full of gum trees. It is not that sort of park.

    Dina, she does seem to have a good imagination, but I lack experience with kids her age.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right. But these were low-rise older style flats in a pleasant setting and rather good area and some residents had lived there a long time. They felt superior, in charge, didn't like foreigners and didn't like kids. Everyone new got investigated. For orthordoxy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok RH, a hierarchy. SY flats had walk ups, but I think they have been closed now while something new is being built.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The walk ups are still there, are they the ones out the back of the high rises? I'm not up with the lingo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes Fen, about three or four storeys, without lifts, which was a great idea for the elderly who were the main residents.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.