Monday, June 04, 2012

Take Two

Could we just do that again on the Thames, but this time with some sunshine and no rain? Regardless, what a spectacle it was. Miss Piggy looked particularly grumpy at times, no doubt worried about her subjects getting wet. The Sunday before it was, at least in Geordie Land, as they put it, boilin'. A beach had been created on the banks of the River Tyne and the Geordies were taking full advantage of the sand, deck chairs and hot sun.

While I am a republican, as PM Cammo said to we Australians tonight on the tv, think about what sort of  president you might end up with? He did have a point. The Queen was a revered figure in my childhood, possibly above god. It is perhaps hard for young people to understand how someone my age feels about the Queen, after what I suppose was essentially brain washing. My head tells me one thing, but my heart and upbringing tells me something else again. She was above criticism and ipso facto, so was the institution.

Assuming she will die before I do, although that does not necessarily follow, I will no longer have any truck with me being a subject of a foreign monarch. I respect our history, but that is what it is, history. While I might like to have a bit of fun with Willie and or Harry, I do not want them lording it over me, thank you very much.

Anyway, did you catch PM Cammo on tv? He was looking brown as a berry, somewhat incongruously on such a grey day. I suspect he took the triple shot for one spray tan deal. Unfortunately our reporter did not question him over what he is doing to the less fortunate in his country, or what he has given to the more fortunate.

19 comments:

  1. Loved the spectacle of the whole flotilla, brilliant, even on such a drizzly day.
    Sadly, the evening news conveyed how much organising it took, along with the amount of police (the cost was, wisely, not mentioned) so it shall not become an annual event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne, I believe I heard it was around £10,000,000 but it was privately financed by a specifically set up foundation and it wasn't public money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he went for an Essex tan and a pejazzle to top it all off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that what a spray tan is called Fen? I've not heard of pejazzle but I guess it is like a vagazzle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We avoided the TV coverage (we get BBC here) like the plague. There's only so many bored and desperate reporters crossing 'live' to wet and impatient nutters in raincoats that we could take. And for us, that was nil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Kath i to avoided the tv coverge like the plague. Could you imagine Tony Rabbit being president? :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day, some day, eventually, Australia will become a Republic if only because it defies logic we would continue hundreds of years into the future to pledge allegiance to a foreigner who doesn't live in our country.

    One of Queen Elizabeth's greatest achievements is that her performance as Monarch has forestalled Australia's inevitable move at some point to cut links with the British Monarchy.

    I believe we would have been much closer to that point had we by now been living in the reign of a King Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the highlights on ABC last night and will watch tonight at 6. Cuts out all the BS. Questions raised at the Daily Mail about the Queen and PP standing in the freezing cold too long but I remember Diana saying she was a walking advertisment for thermal underwear and I'd say Her Majesty would have been the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rain or not it really was an amazing sight to see all those different types of boats coming up the Thames towards London Bridge. OMG the photographic opportunities were unbelievable. You have to admire the British for their stoicism, a bit of rain pffffft! so what! Looking forward to watching the concert.
    btw thanks Andrew for the info on my mystery tree, I think I may have been duped when I bought it haha! Always look for a tag oui!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ABC put together a less than one hour package Kath. It was ok. Your republican credentials are intact.

    FC, there are more events to come, so don't worry about missing one :-P

    JahTeh, seems PP should have excused himself a couple of times, for the sake of his bladder.

    Grace, when we were in Britain I noticed that the rain had to get quite heavy before anyone reacted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Windsmoke, you illustrate my point perfectly.

    Victor, I think Australians are perhaps so apathetic enough about the whole situation, that it might never change. But once she goes, it will be very hard to justify.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the interview with Phillip Williams. (THAT close to throwing my firkin of Veuve at the TV!) What a sycophantic load of drivel from someone who purports to be a journalist. As for Cameron - what a supercilious toady! I understand why our Brian gets so choleric!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah LS. At least Boris is a bit entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "It is perhaps hard for young people to understand how someone my age feels about the Queen, after what I suppose was essentially brain washing. My head tells me one thing, but my heart and upbringing tells me something else again"

    That makes a lot of sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Or Dina, it could just be an excuse for getting on board the cult of celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have to be a royalist to admire the achievement of sticking at a difficult job for 60 years while trying to effect change for the better. It beats the crap out of continually replacing what's good for the people with political expedience where 'longevity' means 'until the next election'. That said, I agree with Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Red, politicians do not compare well to her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just glad I don't have to wait until I'm in my 80's (or even later) to retire!!

    ReplyDelete