Friday, June 15, 2012

Clearing 'The Pass' to pass

I know both Hels and Diane B love special train trips and so do I, not that I have done much else but high speed trains. The list of trips around the world one could take must be very long. Within Australia we have a few quite special trips.

But across the Tasman Sea are two very different but what would surely be very memorable trips. Both are on the South Island of New Zealand. The Coastal Pacific runs from Christchurch to Picton at the very north of the island and for a good part of its journey hugs the east coast with wonderful sea views. You can read here for a decent description of the trip by Hels.

I am not sure which I would chose as the TranzAlpine sounds fantastic too. From Christchurch in the east it climbs over the mountains to the west coast town of Greymouth. The line does require clearing of snow at times though.  Here is a high quality and well filmed video taken only a month ago. Driving blind is unimaginable to me. Whoooooosh!




9 comments:

  1. Wooohooo, that would be one wicked ride!
    Agreed, damn good footage, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not in Oaky Rubye, but lots of snow has be cleared off tracks in north America too.

    Jayne, I need something like that to clear cars off the road so I get a clear run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your traffic plan Andrew.

    But I feel sorry for the chappy who was at the front of the train going over the bridge and then just disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FC, clearing the snow is important so they get in the tourist dollars. Don't worry about a little collateral damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to go to NZ one day and stay for a while to explore the country by train. But not in winter, I don't think I could handle snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. River, it is truly beautiful. Nearly three decades ago now, but we were there in May and it wasn't too bad. Apart from a glacier landing in a small plane, we never saw snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew

    quite right :) Flying over a region and you see nothing! Driving on the wrong side of the road and you are a nervous wreck! But going on a scenic and luxury train trip is the way to get to know a new region. Stop as often as you want, meet locals, eat like a king.

    Rock on the winter holidays - spouse and I will be travelling by train in Spain and Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hels, and aren't train stations less stressful than airports. I hate airports. I so much want to see Spain Portugal and either Budapest or Prague. Maybe next year. I'm sure you will have a great time.

    ReplyDelete