Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Bette Davis and Liberace met in a bar

They did indeed meet in a bar, The Sebel Townhouse in Sydney.

I recall that a stay at the Sebel Town House was often a prize for tv quiz show contestants. I understand the STH in Elizabeth Bay, just near the notorious area of Kings Cross, has been rebuilt as smart apartments. It is suggested that the old STH carpets were worth a fortune for the amount embedded cocaine they contained. From rock stars to movie celebs, everyone of note stayed there.

A guest, one Bette Davis, was trying out the product from a new fangled coffee machine, a Cafe Bar, behind the hotel reception desk and another hotel guest, Liberace, appeared at reception.

'Oh my god, the bitch from hell', he exclaimed.

Hear a lot more of the goss and social history of the Sebel Town House at this most excellent podcast from the Hindsight programme at our ABC's Radio National.

13 comments:

  1. I never set foot in the place although I walked by it often. The Sebel Town House was certainly a 'personality' in its own right in the 1960s.

    I was in my teens then and always associated the hotel with a brand of stacked chairs that bore a similar name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that Observation City here in Perth may have shared a similar reputation in years gone by Andrew. Bette Davis and Liberace, now there's an interesting mix for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lordy, there's a blast from the past!
    Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that meeting LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor, you mean Sebel? It is the name of the who made the furniture and built the hotel.

    Grace, interesting. Was one stalking the other?

    Jayne, me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine they both 'fastened seat belts for a bumpy night'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a few seconds Victor. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the Liberace of Newport. People laugh. I laugh too, all the way home from the CES; no jobs for piano players.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The old dears love it when I mince into St Vinnies (that's where I got the outfit) "I wish mother was here." I say, breaks them up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for mentioning the David Brown Andrew, I've added the restored model!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What Victor said - Sebel were *The* brand of funky, moulded plastic chairs to buy in the 1970s....

    I think that the Mike Walsh Show used to have his guests stay at the Sebel Town House back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when Cafe Bars were new, they were quite the rage and were installed in many kitchens of corporate buildings and factories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RH, if there is one thing I am certain of, you bear no resemblance to Liberace.

    Checked it Grace. Very nice.

    Kath, I never pictured you as parked in front of the tele watching Mike Walsh. Ah, you saw it elsewhere when you were visiting. It is the very same Sebel.

    River, they were fantastic, never mind undrinkable muck that came out of them. It was the beginning of the end for tea ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only one Liberace. One Elvis. Ever.

    ReplyDelete