Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Respect the art man

V, our friend from Japan and I walked the length of Hosier Lane when she was last here in Australia. We were looking for Banksy's rat, a piece of graffiti art. I kind of knew the story though. Council maintenance workers had mistakenly painted over the world famous graffiti artist's work. This is a photo of Banksy's rat, from blog shooshoofication.wordpress.com The Banksy rat is cool. The scrawl and the tag are not.



Graffiti is rather topical at the moment, well so sayeth Kath in Geneva but from the time she was in Melbourne. There is graffiti art and then there is vandalism of public and private property. I know the difference.

Dearest V, I am sorry to report that another Banksy has bit the dust, courtesy some plumber knobs. It was on a building at the corner of Greville Izett Streets, Prahran. I did not even know about it. Even if the plumbers had no idea who Banksy was, did they not think, this is rather cute. Let's work around it. I am thinking of a nasty punishment involving a soldering iron. Photo from news.com.au

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:59 pm

    I think Banksy needs to return to Melbourne to touch up his rats! V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I'd ever say this after dealing with my own trolling 'Anonymous' but I agree with your Anonymous here - Banksy needs to come back for some touch up work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He won't V. He says his work is not meant to be permanent.

    Kath, I reckon I know who one of your anons is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I don't understand in all this is if this art is so precious, why didn't they do anything to protect it in the first place? Obviously this guy was a buffoon, he'd not even heard of Banksy, but then that's just it, not everyone has. Put some perspex over it or something, I dunno, at least try to protect it somehow instead of wailing after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fen, perspex was tried here on one of his works and it was vandalised. Just the cuteness of the mouse should have prevented damage by a tradie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banksy isn't coming back to Melbourne, I mean really.. would you if your meeces were plumbed haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha Andrew, not all tradies have good taste, obviously this one was asleep when he smashed through the rat/bricks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, I think he is too famous now to be bothered.

    Fen, I heard a woman was watching and ran out of her shop and asked the tradies if they knew what they had just done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did the idiot tradies break through the wall from the inside so maybe they didn't know Banksy's rat was there? If so, they're excused, but if not then I'd like to applaud the punishment involving a soldering iron.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They may well have River. I did not hear either way, but they would have checked what was on the other side of where they were drilling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:34 am

    I hate it when this stuff happens to my work.

    ReplyDelete