Sunday, May 06, 2012

Read All About It

While I only ever buy The Age or The Australian, if I can find a copy of the Herald Sun lying around, I am happy to flick through it. The letters page is always a good way to inform yourself of what misguided Abbott supporters are thinking about. Truly great coffee shop reading.

The Herald Sun is part of the now very discredited Murdoch's empire, along with Sydney's Daily Telegraph and innumerable other Australian newspapers.

The Herald Sun is the News International's experimental Australian newspaper to see how online newspapers can make money, apart from intrusive advertising. So, the Herald Sun introduced digital passes to its electric newspaper. To read most stories you are required to sign up for a digital pass, which is free, for the time being but later there will be a charge. Like I don't pay for the Herald Sun, nor will I be paying to read the electric version.

I used to check the electric Herald Sun daily to skim the headlines as there might have been something I wanted to read, but now, I have pretty well stopped going to the website at all. Besides, this seem to work well enough. Copy and paste the story headline into Google and the whole story is there.


9 comments:

  1. The world is divided into those who read The Sun Herald or Sydney's Daily Telegraph, and those who read a proper newspaper. Partly it is just snobbery about broadsheets Vs nasty tabloids, but mostly it is about content and presentation.

    I caught my beloved sneaking a look at the coffee shop Sun Herald this afternoon. Our marriage, of 41 years, was nearly OFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hels, I love the ever so salacious Tele online. Of course you judge by what people read. But what you might pick up to flick through in cafe is different. Your 41 year investment is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. Buy and read the HS and the Age every day. The Age have been doing the 'only on ipad' thing for what seems and eternity. If they want to donate an ipad and personal instruction I'll sign up. Ditto HS digital. Soon I'll be loitering around coffee shops hoping someone leaves a tablet behind, or perhaps I shall be less anxious about the world.
    Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FC, I'll step up to the crease and forecast that IPad like devices will become so ubiquitous and cheap that it won't matter if you leave one in a coffee shop for someone else to use. Maybe not quite in our lifetime though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding your comment to FC, I think it will easily happen within our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possibly you are right Rubye. Who would thought you could browse the internet on a cell phone using free public wifi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before it combined with the Herald to become the HeraldSun the proper name of the Sun was The Sun News Pictorial. Back then I saw some graffiti on a wall: "If you can't think buy The Herald, if you can't read buy the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the free version of the Sydney Morning Herald on my iPad and quite enjoy it but it is missing some items that I would like to access, such as the crossword, that I assume are only available on the version that incurs a fee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RH, people who read the Sun could read. I used to see their lips moving, slowly.

    Victor, dementia prevention will cost you. I don't really believe doing crosswords can help to prevent dementia. Now genealogy research, that will stop dementia dead in its tracks.

    ReplyDelete