Thursday, May 03, 2012

The Drains

There is a place that has long disturbed residents of St Kilda West and Middle Park and that is the Cowderoy Street Drain.

It drains storm water from a large area of inner southern Melbourne into Port Phillip Bay. It smelt worse than Elwood Canal, but perhaps not as bad as Mordialloc Creek. 

I can't find any easy to read information online for you, but reporter Dan Webb will be pleased to learn that finally, the problem has been fixed, I think. A basin has been built to collect water and it is recycled through natural filtration into Albert Park Lake. I can't imagine this impassioned report went to air, but Mr Webb certainly makes his opinion very clear. What a shame it is cut short. I saw Mr Webb on a tram in Armadale a couple of years ago, so I assume he is still alive.

10 comments:

  1. It's nice that something has finally been done about it. A good use of taxpayer dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. River, I suppose it is better than Bondi Beach where raw sewerage used to be pumped out to sea, a few hundred metres offshore. Might still be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You refer to Bondi, aka Pong's-hi. Many many years ago [when current affairs programs were worth watching] there was a report on raw sewage being pumped out at the beach. The closing comment was something like "but Sydney-siders love their beaches, and are swimming on undeterred."

    But good news about this drain. I hate increases in the cost of living and I hate Myki, but I think Ted is doing some things that won't necessarily win him a lot of votes but which need doing. Sofa so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FC, I probably saw that report. I can recall surfers becoming ill. I am not sure what you have in mind that Teddy is doing, but I am prepared to wait and see what he comes up with in his last year before an election is due. Clearly the coffers will be full.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bit of a shock to see Danny Webb sounding off, I remember him as a Mr Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RH, I think it might have just been a crew mucking around. It is not how things were reported back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:57 pm

    Bondi sewerage is now pumped 2.2km off shore through diffusers. So little if any would be find its way back to the beach these days. Mind you I hear the fish are enjoying the new feeding lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon, I feel a whole lot better after reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sydney's beaches and the harbour are a lot cleaner nowadays.

    Dan Webb's impassioned reporting style is unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Victor, but Harbour water is not quite to fish eating standards yet?

    ReplyDelete

Democracy is all very well, but why give it to the people - Audrey Forbes-Hamilton.