Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Seeing a show

Of shows, I have seen many. Too many to be counted.

I think the last show I saw was a acrobatic performance. We received free tickets from Sis in Law after we bailed her and Dreaded Nephew out of England when they ran out of money. The show was good. I do enjoy seeing a show but I find it such an effort now.

A friend asked if we wanted see either the Yes Prime Minister show or A Chorus Line. Straight away I decided I did not want to see Chorus Line. R, you go if you want. I will consider Yes Prime Minister.

I think I wrote the above in about January or February.  I subsequently heard about Yes Prime Minister and I don't think it was a great show.

I am of the age that I appreciate why people of a certain age don't go out at night to see things. It is such hard work. Nevertheless, we are going out on an evening this week to see a show. It is a show that is part of Melbourne's Comedy Festival. Is our comedy festival second only the Edinburgh's?  I would probably like to see a hot guy on stage making me laugh. Instead I chose to see an Arab woman.

I have passed by Melbourne Town Hall and seen the crowds outside queueing to see different shows. Other venues apart from the town hall are used too. I don't like queues. I don't like not knowing about things in advance. I get stressed if things aren't planned. R gets even more stressed, which makes me mega stressed. Add to that Sis in Law is staying with us for a couple of nights while she takes an educational course in the city, so we invited here along too.

It all falls to me. The show is in the supper room at 7pm.

I booked online while Sister and Bone Doctor were here. What a battle. I complained to Sis and BD, I have been booking things online for years. Why is this so hard? What I was doing was trying to select seats when it is general admission. I did not know what general admission meant. Apparently it means you don't have a reserved seat and have to be there early to get the best seat. I was quite horrified by the prospect. Sis and BD went to a Comedy Festival show and they assured me it would be fine and they arrived ten minutes before and got good seats. Later Sis confessed they had friends in the queue who they joined up with.

'For god's sake Andrew, live on the wild side for once in your life', said Sister.

'If it pours rain while I am standing in a queue and I get pneumonia, then you will be to blame Sister.'

Seeking reassurance, I emailed the fabulous Fen, as I knew she had seen a couple of performances. She gave me a reassuring reply.

Then I was taken down by our friend in Japan who is familiar with the comedian (a train driver could be male or female. Do you care? Is there a point to distinguishing between comedians and comediennes?) we are going to see. A bit hit and miss she suggested.

I have faith in my selection. I heard her on the wireless and she is a funny Arab.

Seven is usually the hour when we dine. What to do? We will take Sis in Law out for a meal after the show and I will go to the shops tomorrow to get nibbles to have before the show. We have some nice cheese, some olives and some pickled onions. I will get kabana and a couple of dips and some breads. 




13 comments:

  1. Don't feel alone. I'm afraid I haven't gone out at night in quite awhile, all because of the hassle. Plus, I don't like being crowded.

    I hope the Arab woman is entertaining and the snacks are enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rubye, it certainly is an older person's thing. I'm afraid I am in a terrible rut. I like being home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear Andrew,

    you really are a worrier. A show from the Comedy Festival, then a fun dinner in town, sound terrific.

    And what is the worst that can happen if the programme is not very funny? Well, nothing really.

    We lived near the St Kilda Football Ground when St Kilda played there and got in for free after half time. I hated walking in the wintry rain but the children (now in their late 30s) remember those disasters as the most fun in their entire childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hels, of all the family barbecues in the country that we had with family a couple of decades ago, the one that all recall was the soggy sausage barbecue when it poured rain. There was nothing to do about it but laugh.

    I know it will be a good evening out. I am being melodramatic, as I am prone to be when writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did ya watch the slap comedy of Frank Woodley which screened on abc 1 recently it was brilliant because every episode cracked me up big time :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the first episode Windsmoke. It reminded me of Mr Bean. R didn't think much of it, so we didn't watch any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the Melbourne Comedy Festival is about the *only* night time performance (apart from restaurants!) that LC and I ever bothered to go out for.

    As you say, it's the hassle and the queues that bother me, whereas at home you can wear what you like, be out of the weather and have a clean toilet in easy and immediate reach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:18 am

    You can slap me the next time we meet but I feel I should point out that the comedian woman isn't Arabic but Iranian. I'm sure you'll all have a lovely time. I used to love going to the Comedy Festival. I miss all the big festivals Melbourne hosts...V.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kath, it was so well organised with lots of people around to help and direct, there was no problem. I think it is a big harder if you want to see the big names. I dress when out as I dress at home and I don't use public toilets.

    V, aren't Iranians Arabs? Literally Arabs would come from Arabia but isn't the term Arab used in a generic sense now for Muslims from the Middle East? The show was good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not keen either, but I do find if I do go out I usually enjoy the novelty of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Grace, once you make the effort, you usually enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:54 am

    Iranians are Persians. They speak Farsi, which is the old Persian language. V.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I am corrected.

    ReplyDelete