Sunday, April 08, 2012

An Outing

I can't believe it was two years ago when we went to explore the wilds of Hampton on an easter Sunday.  I was amused by people going to the supermarket, only to find it was closed. The cheek of the staff for not working on easter Sunday. Fortunately our laws stop large shops trading on a few days a year, christmas day, good Friday and easter Sunday. No doubt there is lobbying happening to allow them to open on these days, and when that is successful, then will come the lobbying to get rid of penalty rates for already poorly paid workers. Hmmm, they are open.

This year we are going to the wilds of Gippsland on easter Sunday. Now that really is a bit wild. While we were going to visit Sister on the Bellarine Peninsula, Mother did her dying swan routine. I'll be so lonely over easter. Could you possibly take me out for a drive? She told R this as she knows she can get to me by getting him onside. He is more sympathetic. Mother's children are a bit more hard nosed about her. So, no visit to the Bellarine.

Never mind, we will be looking after Little Jo on Monday when Sister goes to the footy and again Wednesday night when Sister and Bone Doctor go to see Hannah Wants a Wife.




5 comments:

  1. You'll miss your mum when she's gone :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a few years where the major stores could not open on Boxing Day (other than in the CBD and for some reason Bondi Junction), the NSW Government has decided that they may again open on that day across the state from this year.

    I suppose a future Labor government will rescind that decision when eventually they are returned to power (either two or three elections away, presumably).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised to find a local small supermarket open this morning in my search for a servo to buy the paper. I bought it from the supermarket instead. If it wasn't for the TV Guide inside, I wouldn't have bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There IS lobbying happening to allow them to open on these days, and if that is successful, then I agree that the lobbying to get rid of penalty rates will start up. So we have to ask two questions:

    1. Is Sunday a holy day, in the same way that Friday and Monday are? Would it be fair to punish church-goers and family-get togethers, just because businesses want to open as usual?

    2. If businesses _can_ force workers to work on a public holiday, how dare business owners not pay holiday penalty rates?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I suppose so Windsmoke. I wish she were happier.

    Victor, I will suggest that a future Labor government won't turn the clock back.

    River, we were surprised at what was open yesterday. There was even an easter egg shop selling for 20% off.

    Hels, I don't really view it from a religious perspective but from people not being forced to work unsociable hours without due reward. We know very well if people who refuse to work, even though it may be voluntary, might suffer with a loss of working hours in the future. It annoys me that many of those who argue for the abolition of or reduced penalty rates are possibly holidaying in Noosa over easter.

    ReplyDelete