Monday, April 30, 2012

In the very merry month of March

The weather was still warm in March when I took a stroll along the northern Yarra river bank.

I started at the beginning of the Banana Alley Vaults. There are now businesses in the old vaults. What a radical idea, finding a new use for old buildings.

The Sandridge Rail Bridge, now a pedestrian bridge with moving abstract sculptures. They don't appear to move to the naked eye, but they must as their positions change. Sometimes they all bunch up at one end and they don't look so good then. Lining the bridge are also panels mentioning Australia's original inhabitants and migrants from every corner of the globe. It is the third railway bridge on the site and was opened in 1888. The bridge carried trains to St Kilda and Port Melbourne (Sandridge) across the Yarra River. In 1987 the trains were replaced by light rail and the bridge closed. It re-opened for pedestrians in 2006, just in time for the Commonwealth Games.

Eureka Tower, Melbourne's tallest building at 88 storeys. So tall, I couldn't fit it into the lens.

An old railway signal box, now used, by the sound coming from it, for exercise.

Looking along the Sandridge Railway Bridge. The other bridge to be seen is Queensbridge.



What have we got here? A giant theremin. Remember I posted about theremins back here. I had a bit of fun with this giant one. Who wouldn't. Read more about this one at this ABC link.



On my own one fine morning I had breakfast on the pontoon thingy below Southgate Bridge. It was very pleasant, even though I don't like the bridge very much. The place on the pontoon is a bar at night time and to use words that probably make me very unhip, it really goes off.

Melbourne's Concert Hall, now called Hamer Hall, and the building Southgate started the redevelopment of South Bank from an industrial area to a very well used area now. Hamer Hall is closed for massive renovations that are well on their way to be completed. Instead of it being fully focused on St Kilda Road, it will have a connection to the river. Southgate, the last time I was there felt dated, but I think it may have had a makeover since.

A typical citizen of Melbourne out for a walk on a fine day.

8 comments:

  1. Yay for the citizenry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A giant theremin!! I'd love to see that in real life. Maybe I should think about visiting Melbourne.
    I'm really curious about how Banana alley got its name. Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where abouts is the Yellow Peril these days haven't heard anything about it for a long time :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor, he certainly cleared a path in front of him.

    River, the theremin is on tour, so maybe it will come to Adelaide. Banana Alley is a series of vaults along the river that were built to store fruit and vegetables. Also used for ripening bananas, with gas I think. They haven't been used for f&v storage for years, but now businesses operate from them.

    Windsmoke, it is in the forecourt of the performing arts place near Malthouse Theatre. It looks quite at home in that location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a radical idea, finding a new use for old buildings! All I can say it that it is not before time!

    The Banana Alley Vaults are poorly located but look super.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hels, they are quite a barrier to the river as are the railway viaducts, but neither is going away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The BA vaults are as much a part of the city as the Flinders St Station clocks, or the old Customs House - all part of the story of Melbourne.

    Apart from commuting by train I've not really caught up with changes in Docklands since returning to the big smoke some years ago.
    It's interesting to view Hamer Hall from the river - when it first opened it looked [from St Kilda Rd] like it had been crammed into a spare corner.

    Poor old Bunjil, though. Every time the train crawls past I think about the grubby looking patch he sits on the edge of. No wonder he has his back to it.

    Thanks for the tour, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FC, I should remember, but I cannot recall whether I saw Hamer Hall being built as I passed by or not. I agree about Bunjil. Respect.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.