Thursday, April 19, 2012

Clock Chime

S'cuse the finger marks. This clock, which I think I showed readers ages ago, was a wedding present to my grandparents, so it is quite old. It still works but a long ago we let the chime run down as it disturbed our sleep. The hole on the left is for winding the chime, the one on the right for clock mechanism.

It last chimed sometimes in the mid nineteen eighties, so we were much surprised the other night when it started chiming. Six gongs and then half an hour later a single gong, another single one in another half an hour and then it returned to silence. For a moment I thought perhaps I had wound the wrong side, but I didn't.

While I hadn't published the post about sleeping with my grandmother, it was already written. As I am an extreme rationalist, I don't see it as a sign from Grandma, but it is rather spooky. I put it down to a change of weather affecting the spring mechanism.

13 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew:
    Very strange indeed. Perhaps atmospheric pressure in the High Riser!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unseasonably warm, it is JayLa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go to the Gold Coast, and you will see a German clock maker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No need Ann. It is quiet now and in fine working order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'd agree with a change of weather affecting the mechanism. Perhaps with cold weather the spring (or whatever) contracted similar to being wound tight, then as it warmed, it released causing it to chime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. River, except that there wasn't really any weather change. There was nothing I can work out to explain why it suddenly started striking. I am clutching at straws with my weather comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spooky yes, I love that sort of thing. Does it tick loudly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother had one that chimed the quarter hours too. All through the cold and silent night that @#$% thing would ring out every fifteen minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its the spirit of your grandmother playing tricks on you :-).

    ReplyDelete
  11. If nothing is on Fen and the place shut up, yes you can hear it tick.

    FC, I know you don't believe that, do you?

    Victor, perhaps people in a certain time were immune to really hearing clock chimes.

    Windsmoke, exactly what it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:01 am

    Definately Nan saying hello.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon, maybe I better not write about dead relatives anymore then.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.