Sunday, April 01, 2012

Bedded

My plan for the day was not ambitious. Our new beds will be delivered in the morning. In the afternoon I will get my hair cut and do a bit of shopping.

Ever so simple. It begins with calling the building manager two days ago book the lift. That mean protection covers will be put up and the lift operation will be manual. I had also rang around to get bed removal prices. $145. $40 surcharge for above ground removal. Booked them for next Tuesday, my day off.  Price another, $200. It costs me $120 in tip fees he moaned. It was clear he did not want the job. Confirmed with the $145 place for removal. We could get rid of them in a council collection. It would mean either dumping them in the rubbish room in full view of cameras and earn disrespect of people who we know, or asking the building manager whether we could store them in the basement until the council collection. We decided it was all too much for us to cart four bed pieces down to the basement. We will just have to pay.

7.30 Get out of bed. I wash my hair with shampoo to get rid of product because later I will get my hair cut. Product glues up the buzz cut machine and I don't want to have to pay to have my hair washed as well.

9.10 Bed delivery man calls. I'll be there between 11 and 1. I text R as he is a bit worried as our lounge suite delivery last year was not without problems.

9.45 Bed delivery man calls. I will be there earlier. I tell him he must use the car park access in the lane at the rear of the building.

9.50 I call Building Management to inform him of delivery time.

10.50 Beds arrive. I call Building Management and he isolates the lift. I meet the delivery guys. One is clearly in charge. He is tall, slim and has dark exotic looks and he was not unattractive. The other was white but as he never spoke, I was barely aware of him.

10.55 I realise Building Management has not set car park door to stay open. I go off to find a piece of paper to block the electronic eye.

11.00 One of the bed bases is wrong. There is confusion, phone calls. Sorted, if I stay home this afternoon, the correct ones will be delivered. Well, there goes any shopping and a haircut.

11.20 The new mattresses come up and one base. I am very hot and bothered. More phone calls to the warehouse by delivery man. Warehouse wants the base they have just brought up back. I don't know why, but ok. We had paid a deposit, the balance payable on delivery. I refuse to pay the balance, so I pay $1000 and I will pay the rest when the bases are delivered.

11.40 Going down in the lift I comment, perhaps with a subconscious motive, about the high cost of bed removal. No probs, we will do if for $100, cash. Call R to check if this is a good idea. We could end up without a bed to sleep in. Well, I suppose we could sleep together in the spare bed. Confirm deal. It will save a lot of hassle if everything goes to plan.

11.50 Two old mattresses, two old bases, two men and me squashed into the lift. It was so an accident that I was pressed up against the one I liked. Believe me?

12.00 Inform Building Management that the lift protection needs to stay up. It has to be removed by 4pm and lift set back to auto for evening traffic as people return form work and school. Check with delivery guys that it will be.

12.10 I am hot and stressed. I still have sort out the stuff that was under the beds and vacuum the floor and clean the wall skirting where the beds sit.

12.15 I sit at computer and open a joke email from a friend. I laughed heartedly. It was very funny. Try it here. It is not long and you don't need to know the foreign language. Felt slightly better.

12.30 Watch a recorded tv show about West Australia's Black Carnaby Cockatoos. Very interesting and I am suitably distracted.

1.30 Potter about cleaning and do bits and pieces. I want to go across the road to the cafe for some decent coffee, but after putting my shoes on, I change my mind. I wouldn't enjoy it as I wouldn't be relaxed.

2.00 I decide 3.00 is the deadline. If I haven't heard from the warehouse by then about the bases, I will call them.

2.40 The warehouse rings. We will be there within the hour. Different delivery guys to this morning. He seemed to want to chat. I just wished they would get going. They had to come from Noble Park, via the city store and be here by 3.40. Possible but tight I would have thought. If they are on time, it will just be four o'clock when they finish.

3.40 On the dot they arrive. Friendly is very nice but is it necessary to shake hands? One white base and one dark grey? Surely not. I call R and hang up as he driving on his way home. He calls back. Yes, he says, the dark grey one is mine. Meanwhile, the older delivery guy was on the phone to the store to check the details. Before he hung up he wanted to hand the phone to me to pay the amount owing. I don't have my wallet with me, so no cards. The older guy did not seem to have a clue about anything. I told him earlier that delivery was via the carpark in the lane, but he had  pulled up at the front of the building and being quite insistent that he could bring the bases in through the front door. It is most definitely a no no. Fortunately the younger big bruiser Islander guy did have a clue about things.

4.03 They are gone and I inform Building Management it is all over. Apologise for the lateness and detaining him. It will take him five minutes to take the lift protection down and he finishes at four.

4.15 R arrives home and we get stuck into putting bed legs on, sorting out bedding etc.

6.00 Finally all is done. A trestle table stored under one bed will not fit under the new beds, so it will have to go.

Worth it? I haven't had a brand new bed since I was a kid. Always someone else's swapped or paid for. Yes, it was worth it. The new beds are fantastic and I had a great nights sleep .




13 comments:

  1. Well! At last! All done! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a new bed. Reading this was informative and depressing! I wonder what they do with the beds they have taken away; take them to a dump?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very nice looking bed!

    I would have done the basement store until council collection thing. There's no way I'd pay that amount to remove a bed. Still, at least it's all over now and you don't have to make council collection notices in your diary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what's so funny is how many people need beds and how many people who have a hard time getting rid of them. Anyway, it looks like a great bed and how nice you will sleep now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Two old mattresses, two old bases, two men and me squashed into the lift. It was so an accident that I was pressed up against the one I liked.'

    Were you going up or *going down* in the lift? (You're such a tart Shirl - given half a chance.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HATE it when trades people and delivery chaps don't turn up on time. I arrive to my appointments on time, and I expect other people to be equally considerate.

    That said, we have only 24 hours in every day: 8 hours of work, 8 hours of leisure and 8 hours of sleep. If you don't get the Sleep Third right, the rest of your day will be rooted (no pun intended). Worth spending the money on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to go to bed after reading about your day! I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly a relief Christine.

    Victor, the bed collection place recycles them in one way or another. Ours looked good enough to be given to the non deserving poor. What I wonder is what the lads did with cash job disposal. I can confess to you, the guy was smouldering hot.

    River, it was two mattresses and two bases. One set each. Could you carry both out of the apartment, into the lift, down a flight of stairs, through the bike room, into the storage area of the basement, without knowing if that is really permitted or if it is just somewhere where dumped beds are stored until the council collection.

    Ruybe, that was something I did think about. No one in Australia really lacks a bed though. Today I just heard a weight figure of food that US people throw away each year. It would be a bit lower here, but how does this happen when people are starving to death?

    LS, I was going down, and I wish I slipped that into the post. You are so clever. You get an honourable mention in the service to fags awards.

    Hels, we have had good deliveries and we have had bad. Things are much better than they were in the eighties. Sleep is terribly important. No matter how much we individually need, we need it to function well the next day.

    Fen, just keep your existing bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. But you've left out the most important bit! What BRAND were the new/comfy/great-nights-sleep beds???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds an awfully big job to install new beds in a high rise. Nothing beats your own bed especially after holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red, both are Sleepmaker, different models though.

    Diane, it is the most difficult thing to do here, that is move things in and out. There are so many rules and they are there for good reasons, but it is tiresome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah me too Andrew, I got a new bed after many years of lumpy springs, it's like being in heaven, the trouble is I really don't want to get out of it the morning and can't wait to get into it at night..bliss! Apart from the thrill of a new bed, there were a few 'other' thrills along the way,(for you I mean) so I'd say yes, it was definitely worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grace, you must sleep the sleep of the innocent and hence don't want to get out out of bed. The restless less innocent like me are always pleased to relieve themselves from their troubled sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.