Monday, March 05, 2012

Visiting Queens

Last week or so it was the Queen Elizabeth visiting Melbourne. Today it is Queen Mary, the largest ship to ever sail in Port Phillip Bay and dock at Station Pier.

This is the Volendam which sailed the same morning as the Queen Elizabeth. Doesn't look that big, I commented to R, thinking it was the Queen Elizabeth.


Here we go. This is the real thing. The Queen Elizabeth. Passing is the ferry to Tasmania, The Spirit of Tasmania. Now if you stand next to the Spirit on its own at Station Pier, it seems huge. But as you can see, it is dwarfed by the Queen Elizabeth.


This is the best I could do this morning with the Queen Mary in the half light before dawn. Not good, I know. If you want to see a couple of cracker photos of her, try here and here.

11 comments:

  1. It's a grand ship and watching it do a 360 degrees turn as it has done inside Sydney Harbour is a terrific sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys have a nice view.
    Great ship also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard Red talking to a man about her this morning, sounded fascinating but too many people went for a view. Plus I had work. Boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor, she had to make a three point turn to dock at Station pier. A 360 is too easy. She will be back in Sydney???

    Rubye, the views are why I live here.

    Parking would have been a nightmare Fen, but I could have ridden the treadly down. However, like you, I had to go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to go on a cruise on one of the really big liners. Still waiting for that lotto win...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Spirit of Tasmania looks like a tug next to the Queen Elizabeth.
    Station pier must look pathetic next to these ships.

    ReplyDelete
  7. River, R tells me it was $7000 to sail around Australia on the QM. Could be a retirement trip for you.

    FruitCake, how very dare you dis the lovely Station Pier. 'Tis the biggest boat of the many it has seen though. Yes, the Spirit does look somewhat tug like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did alright Andrew especially as you didn't even have to leave home to get the shot! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace, I hope you clicked the links to see some truly great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes 'dwarfed' alright. what a thrill for the passengers on The Spirit to be alongside the big girl. thanks for sharing the snaps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann, as usual work impacted on what I would really like to be doing, like down at Station Pier and later at Point Lonsdale.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.