Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vi Greenhalf

I was going to write something about Vi Greenhalf who I was reminded of when I was writing about Dame Zara Bate. They had a similar stature and their hair styles were vaguely similar too.

But it is not going to much of a post as the internet provided almost nothing about Vi except for a YT clip. You can see her at about 2.20 in the clip.

I could say she was usually well corseted but R reminded me that she also used to wear caftans, presumably uncorseted. Actually R said muumuus, but I don't remember her in a muumuu. Mother wore mu mus and they were quite revealing. I can't imagine Vi in one.

In my memory Vi hosted a morning tv show, of the type that can probably be seen now on your tv should you be that way inclined to watch morning television (steady Andrew. You are sounding snobby). The show was called Time for Terry and I can just remember it. She also had her own morning? show called Vi's Pad.

I recall Vi's voice very clearly and it had harsh and gravelly tone to it. Clear yes, broad, not particularly. Her husband owned the up market restaurant in William Street in the city known as The Walnut Tree.

Vi was a quite important person in Melbourne and it is a pity more is not about her online. I last saw her in Hawksburn loading her groceries into her very small car and then heaving her considerably proportioned self into the driver's seat. I suppose she died sometime in the nineties.

19 comments:

  1. We did the Walnut Tree waaaaaaay back when, was up there with Two Faces and such double damask dinner napkin establishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I did see Vi in Hawksburn when I lived in a red brick block of flats in Motherwell St.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have absolutely no idea who Vi Greenhalf was. I don't believe I even heard the name until just now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with River, never heard of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LS, you are fond of posh places to dine. Lucky that you are a rich dude. I misread where you lived in Hawksburn. MotherWELL street. Got it now.

    River and Diane, I think back then our capital city tv stations were quite individual. I guess she was a Melbourne person. Speak up Victor? Had you heard of her?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry sounds exactly like Charlie Drake. Were Ian Turpie's winklepickers as dangerous as they look?

    Love the set design.

    I think Vi wrote a book called something like "Don't forget to bring a plate to the Mortdale Hall" ? [Mildly amusing in a conversational sort of way].

    They sure don't make TV shows like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did catch a glimpse at 2.20, but unfortunately I'm none the wiser!!Meanwhile how young is Olivia hey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FruitCake, I think we can be grateful that they don't make tv shows like that anymore. I will try to remember to check around for the book.

    Must have been a very Melbourne person Grace. Olivia still looks very young, ah hem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Used to listen to Vi on radio and remember her on TV chat shows. One night I went to The Walnut Tree and wouldn't you know it? She was not there that night. However her husband (John?) was. The meal and service was superb and Vi's husband sat upstairs watching the scene below. After the meal he went around the tables with chocolates and asked us if we enjoyed our meal, had a chat with him, he was very friendly, It was a brilliant evening. In the league of The Flower Drum which is still operating, very sadly The Walnut Tree isn't. I believe Vi died in December 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Radio...she was too. I had forgotten that. The restaurant does sound pretty special. Thanks for some colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. who what now? Motherwell huh? I can see it from here, out the side of my work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Andrew, Vi's name was not familiar to me.

    Who was the second young fellow who appeared near the end bearing flowers? He looks familiar and I suspect I lusted on him in those days given that I felt a certain stirring seeing him now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've watched it a couple of times Victor, but I really can't say he is familiar. Great hair. Is the first younger one Jimmy Hannan? Maybe he was a Melbourne person too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is there in the clip information. One was the recently deceased Ian Turpie and the other Brian Naylor, later Ch 9 newsreader and killed in Victoria's 2009 fires.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought of Turpie at first, then wasn't sure.

    Jimmy Hannan was a familiar name in Sydney too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:25 pm

    I use to work at the walnut tree restaurant great place to work had a blast. Thanks Vi and Bernard. 0/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anon, just curious how you came across this post. Did you google Vi?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I certainly remember Vi, she was a celebrity when I was a kid, on TV and radio but I was never sure of why she was famous. I did have dinner at The Walnut Tree, it was superb. Her husband sat upstairs at a table watching over things. The service was excellent as was the food.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Taylah, there must be a modern day equivalent of Vi, but I don't watch morning television. I do recall Magda taking the **** out of morning tv show hosts, and Vi was once was one.

    ReplyDelete