Friday, March 30, 2012

Town buildings

Although I worry so much about the demolition of buildings and drastically altered streetscapes, when Melbourne does save old buildings and even give them a big repair job, we don't do it badly at all, with some exceptions.

These two are both in Flinders Street, quite close to each other but very different styles. Yooralla is a charity organisation, although they may not like that title.



I think this may be just a façade, but it is well done.
This one is in Franklin Street I think. It could have looked ever so much better if it was not blank at street level or had blanked out windows. Its end is fantastic.


8 comments:

  1. Flinders Street Station is a disgrace she needs a full restoration to bring the grand old dame back to life before she crumbles to dust and floats down the Yarra River :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windsmoke, you will of course also be remembering plan after plan after plan, but nothing happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky not to have earthquakes, my husabnd an engineer is all for pulling buildings down, and we ahve vicious fights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, given what happened it CC, it is quite a balancing act. But I would doubt most people in NZ would like to pull down old buildings, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these, especially the red brick & arches one.
    Perhaps those blank panels on the bottom one are waiting for some artwork? (not graffiti).

    ReplyDelete
  6. River, yes the building with the arches is pretty special. I must check out if it is only a façade. If the renovated of the last building wanted to add graffiti panels, he could not have done a better job. Either a camera is somewhere or the graffiti is quickly painted over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Andrew!!

    I work in Flinders Lane, surrounded by late 19th century-early 20th century buildings. The trick now is to look up and learn, something I never did in earlier decades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hels, I have learnt to look up and see the wonders above. I must look like I am from the country while I am looking up in the big city. Now don't trip over when you are looking up.

    ReplyDelete