Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On

Can it be said it has gone viral if it not really internet based? In a way it is.

To my regret, although we visited Alnwick in England, we did not visit Alnwick Castle. It was an expensive admission fee and it was raining. After seeing a few sights, and cruising the local market, we sheltered in a porch where we had the delicious experience of seeing a market tarp fill with water and then caught by the wind, dump its contents over some quite obnoxious American tourists. We adjourned to the pub where I disappointed R's brother in law's sister's alcoholic husband when I refused the triple Scotch he had bought me. I had told him I don't drink whisky during the day. Night time is another matter.

Alnwick is a very nice English town. Royalty used to stop off at Alnwick Castle as they journeyed by train from London to Balmoral I suppose. Consequently, the station was rather grand too.

Within the old railway station in Alnwick is a bookshop called Barter Books. The owners discovered a poster from World War Two among their book purchases. It says, Keep Calm and Carry On. The idea was for the government to use such a poster, and the slogan generally, if things became absolutely much worse in England during the war than they actually did.

Does that ring a bell for us in Australia post 9/11? Be Alert, Not Alarmed? I hope you Aussies kept your Be Alert, Not Alarmed fridge magnet. It could be a valuable memento one day.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so calm I am almost soporific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The keep calm and carry on slogan is available now on t-shirts and coffee mugs etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor, comment posted 4.11 pm. Time for your nanna nap.

    River, as I was writing this post, I became aware I was a bit behind the times with my knowledge of the slogan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andrew:
    Yes, this poster having been in hiding for so many years is now having a remarkable outing and the Youtube video is also showing up everywhere. In the light of all this we can do no more than stay calm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep Calm and Regenerate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the sun sinks below the yardarm I'm sipping a glass of Moscato...I'm calm! Except, I wish I had one of those fridge magnets grrrrr! Hang on... sip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JayLa, I haven't seen the YT vid. I will check it out.

    Fen, if things had gone really badly, it may well have been regenerate.

    Grace, I don't think we kept any of the propaganda kit. That was silly. Moscato, yum! Just the one mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poster is EVERYWHERE now, so kudos to the lucky sods who copyrighted it and printed it on t-shirts, coffee mugs, mouse pads, posters, bumper stickers, erasers, chocolate boxes.....

    And the 'Be Alert' thingy (which we never received, by the way) always reminds me of the old saying:
    Be alert. The world needs lerts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kath, I am somewhat ashamed of myself for not knowing about it. Re Be Alert, your area of town was never going to be a terrorist target. They would take out too many of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this on a tea towel pinned to my kitchen wall.
    Sadly, I fail to heed it's message...as does the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jayne, you do carry on at least, and on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like you, Andrew, I have not heard of this poster until reading about it on your blog. Oh Well!! I think I threw the 'be alert' fridge magnet into the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Be Alert, Not Alarmed fridge magnet what fridge magnet??. Never got one and i've certainly never seen one either :-).

    ReplyDelete
  14. As did we Christine. All the propaganda went into the bin.

    Well Windsmoke, I am not entirely sure there was a fridge magnet. There was a fridge magnet for something related, but I really can't remember now, so perhaps you are right.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.