Sunday, March 04, 2012

Forty three beans

The coffee machine at work produces a rather good cup of coffee. I insert $1.20 and press the 'long black' button and the machine whirs and the beans grind and less than a minute later I get a fine cup of tasty coffee. But it was broke. What to do? I do have some instant coffee at work, but starting my working day with a cup of proper coffee from the machine was what I was set on. I did not kick the machine.

Instead I went out into the street to a nearby Gloria Jeans outlet. It was the first time I had entered the shop and it was certainly nicely decorated and the cakes looked very nice. It used to be a Starbucks until they closed down many of the stores here in Australia. Apparently we Australian's aren't overly fond of Starbucks.

I just remembered something too. Gloria Jeans has a connection to the crank religious mob Hillsong. Just checked, direct connection was severed in 2009 but GJ still supply coffee carts and supplies for Hillsong fund raising. Lie with dogs, get up with flees.

Back to the coffee. I thought instead of being automatically being served a bucket of coffee, I would ask for a regular, thinking it was the standard size. No, I got a bucket of coffee. R tells me I needed to ask for a small.

Now, can someone tell me how GJ manages to remove all taste of coffee from a long black coffee? It was awful.

18 comments:

  1. I don't get it either. I've been to GJs a number of times (friends & family swear by it), but always end up disappointed. Even when their coffee does have flavour, it's quite an overpowering bitter/burnt-toast flavour.

    Perhaps we're both just doing it wrong?

    On another note, it was about 3 years to the day I was sitting on a bench in Cathedral Square, Christchurch, regretting the decision to give Starbucks a go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing worse than a routine interrupted, except going into a shop that has really complicated choices.

    Went into our local GJs once and got the "you're a moron" stare from some young whippersnapper because I was taking too long to work out the combinations and permutations.
    Similar experience at a Subway. Isn't it bad enough being technologically obsolete without having to starve as well?

    I guess it often comes down to whether staff have the right mix of patience and compassion. Which is what I found at the Starbucks I go to - I like the beans they use, but still can't comment of GJs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me a nice strong cup of tea, a glass of water or a cuppuccino anyday the rest just don't pass muster :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a Hudson's Coffee shop anywhere near? Go there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. espresso machines have to be cleaned every night. if they are not, then residue in the pipes taints all subsequent coffees bitter.
    simple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Lie with dogs, get up with flees.'

    Top typo. (Or were you being TOO clever by arf?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smudgeon, I just don't understand how such a place can't make good ordinary coffee. If it was roughly one year ago that you were in Cathedral Square, you might have even more regrets.

    Windsmoke, I am not much of tea drinker but tea would have been better.

    River, there isn't one nearby but I have had Hudson's once. I think it was ok, but I was bemused by having my name taken and my order called out when I was the only one in the shop.

    Ann, it wasn't even bitter. Just tasteless.

    No LS, my touch of the Deccas was a genuine typo not picked up by my secretary or proof reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FruitCake, we were all Subway virgins at some time. I am now an expert and no longer stand at the till to give my order.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GJs clearly has a gift appreciated by many Aussies - or they would have followed the Starbucks decline years ago. Me, I don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember the first time I had American coffee. It was an early Starbucks shop and Seattle (a city I love) thought of itself as the European coffee centre of the USA. The taste was not coffeeish, the plastic cup made me anxious and the syrup additives were alarming.

    Sounds like GJ, another 1970s invention, was similarly unimpressive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red, it might be the way the company is structured. There is no other apparent reason.

    Hels, you must have been very let down by the American Dream. I've ever heard much about Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh I'm so grateful I don't drink coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fen, it is hard to imagine life without coffee...well wine too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a Gloria Jean's opposite my Coles, in winter I'd sometimes get a hot chocolate to sip while walking home, now it'll be a hot chocolate to sip while I wait for the bus. I've never tried their coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. River, I would guess they would do rather good chocolate, but I am not a chocolate drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear you Andrew, GJ does not equal good coffee, and even if you sit in and have coffee there it comes in a paper cup, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't drink wine either :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grace, I am so with you about the paper cup. Bah!

    Fen, if I didn't know you better, I'd think you were boring.

    ReplyDelete