Thursday, February 02, 2012

Primaries

I like to be informed about politics around the world. The United States of America are having their primaries. It seems like it is a pre selection of who will lead the Republicans to the next presidential election. It is vaguely interesting, but oh, the overkill by our media about the primaries.

I reckon I speak for the majority here. We are interested, but not so interested that the matter should occupy so much time in our news broadcasts. Its not like we understand the American political system. I am surprised that Americans understand it.

It was only fifty years ago when we referred to England as the Mother Country, yet we get so little British political coverage here, and Britain is still an important place in the bigger scheme of things.

I suppose it is the case that we get such extensive political reporting from the US because it is easy and cheap to do with some of it already all packaged up.

12 comments:

  1. Perhaps the media moghuls are just trying to get maximum value for their reuters subscriptions. I'm sure they know we are not remotely interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Politics lately is boring the skin off me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we tire of it imagine how the Americans must feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All, so it is not just me who finds the saturation coverage annoying and boring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I cared less about the state of politics around the world, I'd be dead. I just don't understand politics, I never have. They're elected to run their countries, yet they spend so much time bickering, backstabbing, fingerpointing, name calling and jetsetting off on study tours etc, all at taxpayers expense, while the people they're supposed to be looking after are suffering with not enough schools, hospitals, infrastructure.....let's not mention the thousands of taxpayer dollars wasted on refurbishing perfectly good offices and homes everytime one of them gets elected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watch British TV here and it rarely features. However, online and in the newspapers, it's all there in excruciatingly boring detail....

    ReplyDelete
  7. River, what you say is what many people think. It is all a good bit wrong in my opinion.

    Kath, can you confirm that there is little interest in the US in Europe, nay, maybe even some hostility?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah. It's very strange that Australia puts so much focus on American politics.

    I don't mind it in America as long as the information is filtered through a good comedian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Politics is nothing but the same old worn out promises which change like the weather :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dina, I've caught that filtering occasionally and the comedians can be very funny.

    Windsmoke, we have lived too long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I listen to news from the ABC (Australia), BBC (Britain), Deutsche Welle (Germany) and Radio Netherlands. That way I get all the news I DO want and avoid all the news I do NOT want.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hels, NewsRadio weekend afternoons? It is good.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.