Monday, February 13, 2012

I keep thinking of this and is amuses me no end. Maybe it won't you, but never mind.

I was listening to a podcast of a Jewish author being interviewed who had written a supposed novel, but it was almost autobiographical. He was talking about the book and I think it was his father he was referring to.

You probably have to know a bit about Jewish settlement in Melbourne to really appreciate it, but he said about his father, and I can't remember it verbatim, he was one of the few "holocaust survivors" who had never left Rathdowne Street.

Who said you need a picture to paint a thousand words.

13 comments:

  1. I'm having a problem with this one... I am aware that there was a large Jewish settlement, post war, in the inner city slums of Melbourne, aka North Carlton and Carlton, through which Rathdowne street runs. Of course if one has never left rathdowne street...

    Sorry to ask you to labour over the joke...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I'll hold off for a bit and see what others make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it's an ass plus u plus me story, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er, does that mean that Dad liked Italian food better???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know Melbourne well enough to get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be buried in the backyard? :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. All, essentially it means he never left the Jewish enclave of Rathdowne Street, Carlton during the war and holocaust. However, he can tell a holocaust story as well as the someone who was there. He is, or was, slightly obsessed and probably talks about it excessively.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, a pair of well positioned quotation marks around "holocaust survivor" and all is clear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll wear that Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh I didn't get the irony either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine, perhaps I know more about Jews in Melbourne than most people. Not sure why. I shouldn't assume everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe like the pretend Vietnam Veterans. They tell good stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think so Bliss.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.