Friday, February 17, 2012

Coming out when you're out

One of Melbourne's worst keep secrets is out. Magda Szubanski is gay. She outed herself on tv. Not sure who she outed herself to, but never mind. Unfortunately she is probably not widely known in younger circles and therefore has perhaps passed her time as a useful role model for young lesbians. Well, not a role model, but as an apparently successful gay person. Never mind. I would hardly blame her for not coming out at the zenith of her comedy career. Anyway, good on ya Magda. Here is a clip from an old comedy sketch show, Fast Forward. Lynne was one of my favourite characters. Given I never really watched the show, I am surprised how knowledgeable I am about Fast Forward. Ah, bad memory. Tradie Brother called me useless because I did not know who Uncle Arthur was. I must have watched the show a bit after that.



Oh dear. I should try harder to keep up. FruitCake posted about Magda too and used the same clip. I composed this the day after her tv appearance. I should have published straight away. Still, it does show what excellent taste FruitCake has since she agrees with me.

15 comments:

  1. I'm not certain about her being unfamiliar to younger people who would remember and love her from her role in the more recent Kath and Kim series.

    She also figured in a high profile weight loss promotion only a year or so ago.

    Either way, good on her for speaking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Arthur was in The Comedy Company, not Fast Forward.
    My favourite Magda character was Chenille from Chenille's Institute de Beaute and House of Hair Removal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor, yes, I suppose they may well know her quite well. Then there was the movie Babe of course. Was that last year or a decade ago. Time lines are troublesome to me now.

    Scott, point made. I never really watched either but I must have seen some of them. Chenille was good too. There are YT clips of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny that you both posted on the same person. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not funny Rubye. She stole the thought from me telepathically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must have been the only person who didn't suspect that Magda was a lesbian. To be honest, I never even thought about her sexuality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said love, I said pet, I said love, I said Andrew - "I don't care if she's black white or brindle as long as she's out and proud about it!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ad Rad, someone told me a few years ago. Otherwise, like you, I never really thought about it. I was surprised to know how many knew before I did.

    Hehe Displaced. We used I said for many years after.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on her, I saw her on telly and was proud of her. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea until I saw her on TV, but it makes no difference. I still love Magda and all her personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Better late than never Fen.

    River, understandable that you didn't know as she is a very Melbourne person and involved in local matters, such as inappropriate developments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just knew you were going to accuse me of telepathy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good clip though hey FruitCake. I laughed. The other one you had up was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of my favourite Magda skits.
    Did you see her on SBS or ABC's "Who do you think you are" ? It was really emotional and interesting

    ReplyDelete
  15. No I didn't MC. I think she was one of the first on the programme as I did hear about it.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.