Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Letter to HRH

At work I am a minority in so many ways. I am gay. I am Anglo Saxon. I am not married. I don't have children. I am not religious. I don't live in a house with a white picket fence. I don't drive a 4 WD/SUV. My car is old. I am the opposite to the average person at my work. I am happy with that and it is my choice to work there.

But I don't have a choice in my ruler who I might add, inherited the position.

Friends, notionally christian, generally don't agree with my view. Political correctness gone mad, R accused me. I disagree. I don't see why I and millions of others of your subjects should be made to feel excluded. You may think you and your religion are right. I think you owe us non christians the benefit of doubt.

Dear Liz.

Below is a snip of the text of your christmas message. While I know you are boss cocky of the christian Church of England and both your own country and mine are historically christian, I just think this god bothering that you went on about in your speech this year was inappropriate.

Your country and mine both have many people of different faiths. Are we of different religions to be excluded from your well wishes? Are we of no religion to be excluded? How many people who celebrate christmas really believe in religion?

All this will affect our celebration of this great Christian festival.

Finding hope in adversity is one of the themes of Christmas. Jesus was born into a world full of fear. The angels came to frightened shepherds with hope in their voices: 'Fear not', they urged, 'we bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

'For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Saviour who is Christ the Lord.'

Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves - from our recklessness or our greed.

God sent into the world a unique person - neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive.

Forgiveness lies at the heart of the Christian faith. It can heal broken families, it can restore friendships and it can reconcile divided communities. It is in forgiveness that we feel the power of God's love.

In the last verse of this beautiful carol, O Little Town Of Bethlehem, there's a prayer:

O Holy Child of Bethlehem,

Descend to us we pray.

Cast out our sin

And enter in.

Be born in us today.

It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord.

17 comments:

  1. OMG or should that be OML [Liz], did you make that mistake again by excluding people? Did Phil wrote that speech before they carried him of to the nuthouse?

    Bea did a better job in her Xmas speech, maybe you can still learn from a younger queen? Or a more tolerant nation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, apologies for my pedantry, but if you are writing to Liz then that should read 'Letter to HM'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The separation of church and state didn't seem to "take".

    People can be as religious as they like, inside their own homes, private schools and religious institutions, but not in public. In a country that does not have a state religion, it is particularly important that a person of power (politician, judge etc) doesn't blur the separation of church and state moral code.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the very worst of her from on high casting before swine Xmas messages.

    "Forgiveness lies at the heart of the Christian faith." Yeah, tell that to the victims of the Crusades and the judgmental and predatory *Christian* missionaries. Tell that to those blacks (using the term from the times) who were lynched by God fearing Christians. Tell that to the staff at abortion clinic who were killed by God fearing Christians.

    Need I go on?

    Thought not.

    Dammit, there are some other *queens* who are more tolerant and inclusive than this born again Saxe-Coburg-Gotha pommie.

    Don't let me get started ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Difference is good and should be celebrated rather than trying to make us all fit into one standard size mold so we can better be controlled. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter, yours and some Euro monarchs are much preferable to ours including our own Aussie born Princess Mary.

    Hels, it is very important here and must be guarded, but I am not so sure about Britain? If the head of state is also head of the church, things are bound to be entwined.

    Just taking the first one LS, it would follow that forgiveness is not at the heart of all religions. Maybe one or two exclude it, but generally I think it would be. I include you in my world, so look how tolerant I am.

    Rubye, they do like to control the masses. We need to remain aware of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victor, I think she has more to worry about than my address to her. But isn't Letter to Her Royal Highness ok as a subject line?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! smigion, religion let's call the whole thing off!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew, it's ok as the title to your post if that is what you want but HRH isn't the British Queen's title. The British monarch is HM (His/Her Majesty).

    Roll on the inevitable Australian Republic and let we Australian queens (majestic and otherwise) live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, what is the protocol for addressing the toe suckee Fergie?

    HRH (once or twice removed) Toe Jam?

    ReplyDelete
  11. PDP, perhaps we should call it all off. Viva la republic.

    Victor, isn't it ok to call her that, ie Introducing Her Royal Highness, Queen of Australia.

    Watch your card playing LS. Fergie can be useful if you pay her a bob or two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The old girl's only racking up a bit of Karma considering how close to the Pearly Gates Prince Phil is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Born in the City of David?
    Where the Star of David comes from?
    The Jewish Star of David?
    In Israel?
    Because that makes Jesus a Jew...not a Christian...
    Not that I care...I'm not religious myself.
    Did you send this to Liz as well as posting it here?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a luscious, entertaining discussion you've started, Andrew.

    It's possible the Pope thinks he is in charge of 'the masses' whatever language they are in.

    I've an old penny to hand with the legend GEORGIVS V D.G. BRITT OMN REX F.D. IND. IMP which translates roughly to George the 5th, By the Grace of God, King of All Britain, Defender of the Faith and Emperor of India. She may be on her own in this, but I suspect Liz was taught at a very early age that she IS both the Church and the State.

    Let any religion which is without sin cast the first stone.

    Yes, rather short sighted of her to rabbit on about Christians thus alienating the rest of her subjects, or wasting a chance to talk about the importance of forgiveness in other faiths as well. But seriously, beyond the fact that she is a nice lady, I'm not sure I think of myself as a subject of hers.

    Good Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess at eighty five she's struggling to find subject matter for her speeches these days.

    Although, to be fair, she could try the Koran next year, followed by the Talmud...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What? No nod to the pagan festivities from which Xmas day as we know it evolved??

    And why not balance things by quoting from 'Frosty the Snowman'?

    I'd also like to see an evidence-based treatise proving that the two concepts 'forgiveness' and 'Christian faith' are not mutually exclusive!!

    I prefer to think of myself as a realist, rather than bitter and twisted ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good clarity of thought Jah Teh.

    River, I tried to find an email address, but I failed. Yes, christ was a Jew, so my step mother told me.

    FruitCake, why did Emperor, and earlier Empress, of India get a mention, I wonder. I don't think of myself as a subject of hers either, but we are. I just thought it was unnecessary to overtly speak to christians and not others.

    Kath, the list is long, so best if she just leaves religion out of it. I doubt she writes it herself although no doubt has input.

    Red, this religion business is messy and complicated and very contradictory. I go back to Peter's comment. I wish they would behave a bit more common, like Euro royalty.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.