Sunday, January 08, 2012

The lady's not for turning

I don't think that line came up in the movie Iron Lady, but many other quotes did. It was an excellent movie and Streep is bound to deservedly get many awards for her performance as Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister of Britain in the 1980s.

Thatcher was played with some sympathy and my emotions fought away as I kept trying to reconcile this extremely clever and ambitious woman on the screen with the evil person that I know she was.

All the actors were excellent, as was the movie as a whole. It is a nice potted history of political Britain in the eighties. Some things I had forgotten though. Although of course I remember the IRA bombs, I had forgotten just how many of them there were. While scars remain, injustices were done, thank goodness that is history.

Just to note, the director was a woman, as was the person who wrote the screenplay, the executive producer and a co-producer.

11 comments:

  1. This one is on my list of must see soons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I'm definitely watching this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip mate I am looking forward to seeing it!!! Is Streep's accent believable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard many good reviews about this one, with one or 2 rare whinges re accuracy *rolls eyes*.
    Will be seeing this one for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is definitely on my 'must see' list but I do wonder if it'll make the Swiss screens...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'll be interesting to see how Streep plays Thatcher. I'm waiting for the DVD since we don't get any decent movies out here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worth the effort FruitCake.

    Immigayrant, it is good for your education, but remember how people suffered under her rule.

    Haha Displaced. This time, her accent is perfect.

    Jayne, you and I know not not to take movies as historically accurate. I fear that young people will.

    Kath, maybe dvd or a copy from someone for you.

    Rubye, she was truly fabulous, but credit must go to the make up artists too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait. I am zany for Streep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She does your country proud Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw a snippet of a Streep scene on TV - but the main thing to stick in my mind was her appalling British accent. Unless it was coincidentally crap just in the bit they chose to show ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red, I saw the same thing. Isn't it like Thatcher spoke, regardless? Bu that clip might just have been the worst bit of her performance.

    ReplyDelete