Monday, December 12, 2011

My ABC

I can have a whinge about our ABC. There wouldn't be too many people who invest more time listening and watching our ABC than I do. Surely that gives me some rights to moan.

ABC Local Radio, Melbourne. Replacement for Richard Stubbs after he goes on holiday early on management's orders, Mark Holden. I no like.

Last Friday, cricket is due to begin at 10.25, truncating Jon Faine's program. I am of the age who used to become seriously annoyed at parliament and cricket interrupting programs on local radio. I can cope. It is time to listen to RN podcasts. But still, twenty minutes of Jon Faine's Wrap program with a right wing and left wing guest to discuss the weeks events before the cricket starts. Digital radio said no, and switched to Local Radio national replacement programme for the cricket and I missed the normally entertaining Wrap. I appreciate the digital replacement programme when the cricket is on, but not when it cuts in over an existing local programme still being broadcast.

I took a look at ABC's mobile phone website. This link looked promising. Err, no it wasn't. I don't know German.

Treasurer Swan, our ABC is clearly underfunded. Step up to the crease and fund it properly please. To be topical, fund the overseas service properly too.

11 comments:

  1. I hear ya and it is most annoying. What gets up my nose is when the cricket goes over the advertised finishing time on tv :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I utterly depend on the ABC too. One hour of News Radio every morning when I am getting up, dressed, organising the house and going to work. This is mandatory.

    Then John Faine and Richard Stubbs, if I am travelling anywhere during the day. This is an optional extra.

    I suppose there are *cough* commercial *splutter* channels on my radio, but I covered the other parts of the dial with nail polish so they wouldn't be visible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved ABC radio .... and sometimes listen online but not for a while now. Why was Stubbsy sent off early?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very annoying Windsmoke, but I guess that is out of the broadcaster's control.

    Hels, lacking nail polish, the stations are very visible to me and I occasionally swing the dial to check why I should not swing the dial. I always prove my point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why Kath. Symons was too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all go on holidays early that lot. Well except Faino. But I have to disagree with you about Mark Holden, he's a much better interviewer than Stubbys, who loves the sound of his own interrupting voice. One day a few weeks ago I swear he was off his head, I was shouting at the radio, he was totally off with the fairies.

    I'd love to know where Trevor Chappell has gone, his producer Pav has been filling in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fen, I find Holden too sugary for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never really enjoyed listening to Richard Stubbs, so I don't. But the first time I turn on the radio and hear cricket, that's it for the season.
    Silence is not unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FruitCake, I have switched the radio off of late, meaning to listen to a podcast or whatever and after a while I realise it is silent. Very unusual for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swan's still too busy wittering on about the QLD floods sapping the nations funds. Wonder how we're going to fund the 2011/2012 season's floods? Oh, of course! A new tax!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red, I don't mind paying tax, but I don't like paying levies. There should be adequate reserves for natural disasters, and it seems we had better get used to them.

    ReplyDelete