Sunday, December 25, 2011

I see the lights

T'was the night before christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

I say that to myself quite a few times around christmas, very much so should R and I be home on christmas eve. It is part of something longer in a book I read. We won't be home this christmas eve but I will be saying it mentally at times.

Cities are lit up all over the world to celebrate christmas. Even in non christian countries where christmas is not celebrated, still they celebrate it. Big business is all powerful.

I have been quite aware of Budapest for some time because it is a tram city. I was aware of it earlier because of unpleasant events nearly seventy years ago. Then Victor embarked on a river boat in Budapest. And then along came the marvellous Jane and Lance who live there part time. Budapest appears to be a beautiful city and who better to show you than Hamster with his You Tube videos of public transport. Sad ass Australia, you are not even in the running in the lighting department.

I am the least religious person you could know, so whatever religion you are or aren't, I still have no hesitation in saying to you, Merry Christmas.



9 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a Merry Christmas to you and to R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and peace to you Andrew, and R too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm up there with you in the lack of religiosity, but who'd look a gift holiday in the mouth? (Not to mention the presents!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the years I've seen pictures of other cities in other countries with their Christmas lights and I have to agree with you on this. Australia needs to do more, be more spectacular. Even our New Year displays pale in comparison with some European displays.

    Have a great Christmas Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... happy birthday dear Jesus,
    Happy Birthday to you.
    Get a tram outta Nazareth,
    before they kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all.

    River, can't win with so many complaining about cost of the present decorations.

    Oh dear Em Stacks. You are so provocative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Christmas lights. So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very much so Cazzie.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.