Friday, December 09, 2011

The Curling Bridge

This bridge in Paddington is close to where we stayed in London. I wish I had known about it back then. Of course I would have gone to watch it working, well, if we available at twelve noon on a Friday, the day it operates. It is a rather pointless piece of infrastructure. It is best thought of as a work of art.

If you are not fond of watching paint dry, watch the beginning so that you get the idea, pause it and let the rest of it load, and then go to the end at about 2.00 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. I LIVE for watching paint dry ... hang on, no, that's why I left work!!! Bridges are fascinating as it is - but one that moves? Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andrew:
    We have watched, mesmerised, at the curling of the bridge. A feat of engineering or an Art installation? We think that it is successfully both. We love it and are amazed that this is the first we have heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a drawbridge across a castle moat or a caterpillar in the defensive position. This was much better than watching paint dry :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that curling bridge, was happy to watch paint dry as it curled up into a ball.
    But why only once a week?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the applause at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving bridges are fun Red.

    JayLa, Paddington Basin apparently, whatever the basin is.

    Windsmoke, it would have useful to have across a moat. It would just need to operate a bit faster.

    Jayne, where the building is, you can walk around the water. It would save a minute's time to cross the bridge if it was down already. But once a week is a bit mean.

    Victor, did you note the tour group members' accent.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.