Monday, November 21, 2011

What happened to Little Jo?

Indeed, what did happen to Little Jo. Apparently accommodation at the Highrise off football season is not in high demand. Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo stayed last week at a caravan park down on the far west coast. We hadn't heard from them for awhile, so I called on Saturday evening to no answer. Next morning my phone range as I was just leaving to go to work and I declined the call. It was Sister. As I was stepping into the lift, I heard the home phone ringing. R answered it. Sister said she was returning my call from an hour before. She didn't have her am or pm right. My call was the night before.

She told R they were packing up to leave and was somewhat short with him. Now let me tell you, if R likes you and you are a nice person, he is the most wonderful person in the world. But if you slight him, or he even thinks you may have slighted him, then it is all over Red Rover. When Sister asked what we wanted and said she was busy packing up, R jumped in with, Ok, bye, and hung up.

I expected a conciliatory call or text during the week, but none was forthcoming. R and I have argued about Sister more than once. All I can say is, she is my sister. What can I do? None of us siblings have ever really fallen out with each other. Perhaps it is that we just don't care too much? I don't know. We all tolerate each other's foibles without complaint and minimal bitching behind backs. I suppose we care, but not enough to get hurt by character failings.

But we have not seen Little Jo for four weeks and we miss her. Me being the hard nosed practical person, suggested well it was going to happen sooner or later. Once she gets to school age, we won't see too much of her. Little Jo is very like her mother, and will run Sister ragged when she becomes a teen. I say that with no glee. Hehe, or maybe I do.

I am sure Little Jo still loves her Uncle R, but we all have to move on. Perhaps we are entering a new phase.

Meanwhile, I observe mothers and fathers with their 18 month to three year olds with some envy. It is surely the best time. Well, it was the best time for us and Little Jo.

10 comments:

  1. I reckon you'll just have to grin and bear it until it all blows over, that's life, isn't it? :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope she returns soon. Little Jo needs her uncles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my experience there is another lovely age still to come. 9-10 year old girls love going on little adventures with their aunty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope whatever happened is resolved so that you can still see Little Jo, although like you said, once she is in school you'll see less of her anyway, but then there's always the school holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, indeed Windsmoke. I am happy to eat humble pie to get an end result.

    Rubye, I think she does. She needs male roles in her life, to turn Sister's words back on her.

    KN, who are you calling an aunty? Aunty Andrew and R did connect well with other niece at about that age, so perhaps it is something to look forward to.

    River, I will make a call tomorrow and sort things out. Sister would be shocked if I told her she had offended R. I play things very cautiously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you guys are having problems. Hopefully your call will help sort things out.

    I admire you for trying to talk to them, rather than doing nothing and letting everyone drift apart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure it will be ok Dina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sheeeesh I am calling me an aunty- you musta knowed that!!! But I am sure it would be the same for uncles!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes we all just need a bit of a break from each other ... in my family, anyway. You could always invite LJ over for an uncles sleepover without waiting for Sister?? Or is that 'not done'??!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just being silly KN.

    I expect it will happen Red. There is the Myer christmas windows to see, a tree to decorate and an advent calendar to start.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.