Thursday, November 03, 2011

Responde siv your plate, if you will Julia

I have made in clear in the past that I care not two hoots about gay marriage. But over many years, I have learnt to my surprise that it is not all about me, and many gay people, including lesbians as gay, do care very much about the right to marry their loved one. It is not for me to understand, but it is for me to judge. So why shouldn't they get married if they want to? If my fellow gays are silly enough to get mixed up in religion and antiquated practices, why shouldn't they get married in a church?

Our PM Julia Gillard was handed a somewhat poisoned chalice and I fully understand that she has to play politics. I can even understand her reluctance to address the matter of gay marriage. But when she was directly asked, point blank, her opinion, she clearly stated that she did not approve.

What? She is my age, she grew up in my time. She is educated. She was even once a lefty and a bit radical. She mixes widely. Cheap shot yes, but she lives in sin with her partner.

Sorry Julia. I understand politics, but I can't get past your firm statement. Maybe you will explain it in your memoirs.

13 comments:

  1. I am surprised by her stance which seems at odds with the rest of her politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another disappointing effort by Julia.

    More disappointing (and frightening) would be to have Abbott taking over the wheel - with Cardinal Pell as backseat driver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for gay marriages because i'm not homophobic. Politics and the church should keep there big fat noses out of peoples private lives :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very much at odds Victor. Perhaps there is truth to Juliar.

    You are a smart bloke LS. Tell me that it could never happen.....please.

    Windsmoke, the church especially likes peeking into bedrooms to see what people get up to. It has a long history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We now have equal treatment before the law in everything else, e.g. taxation, and the right to use a civil celebrant.
    While some rabbit on about the sanctity of traditional marriage, tradition does not preclude dysfunction, divorce, child abuse and any other number of evils.
    However, there is a principle at stake, so Julia's attitude rankles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The battle is pretty well won then FruitCake, except perhaps in name only. Very much just a principle things for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say let anyone marry who wants to marry.

    Not siblings though, or cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia's just been one big disappointment to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. River, seen the movie Kissing Cousins?

    Fen, trapped by politics, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's face it, if it weren't for Kissing Cousins (apologies to Elvis) the entire aristocracy of Europe and Britain would have been consigned to the dust bowels of history - along with hemophilia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know; her position doesn't make sense. Judging from afar, I can say that I'm really disappointed in how staid she is when Labour needed (needs) a more modern, human approach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Especially when that was one of the (stated) reasons Rudd was ditched! Scary when personal politics takes over - she believes in climate change, so we get a carbon tax. She doesn't believe in gay marriage so it's not going to happen. Where's consensus and democracy when you need it??!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too true LS.

    Kath, someone who could stimulate passion and foresight would be good.

    Was it Red? Ah. And what happened to Labor branches forming policy for the government to enact.

    ReplyDelete