Saturday, November 12, 2011

Winking Eye

This pedestrian bridge is one of many that span the River Tyne in Newcastle in the north of England. While we did not set out to see it in operation, I was a bit disappointed when we happened upon it just after it had opened and closed. We did walk across it.

It is called the Gateshead Millennium Bridge and links the southern side of the river, Gateshead, with Newcastle on the northern side. It opened in 2001 and quickly acquired the nickname, The Winking Eye. If you watch this slightly sped up video, you will see why.

7 comments:

  1. It wouldn't take a sharp eye to spot the wink :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I lived in Britain for a few years in the 1970s, I had never spent time in Newcastle and Durham until relative recently. The pedestrian bridge must have been part of the modernisation of the north... it looks good and works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to watch the "slightly sped-up" video, if only it would "speed-up" and load....maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever Windsmoke.

    Hels, I was expecting dirt and grime, instead I found bright, progressive and vibrant.

    River, up on to the roof to watch it then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How often does it wink?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great piece of engineering! i'm going to send the link to my S-I-L, he'd love this. He's in construction. The message right at the end made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On demand Victor :P. I think it opens at a set time each day for tourists and boats know the opening time and pass under then. But there are other ships that sail up the Tyne, so I guess that would be pre arranged.

    River, it is quite an elegant piece of design, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete