Friday, October 21, 2011

Let's Do It

Of course Noel Coward being gay must mean I must automatically like him and think he is great. Well, I've got news for you. It is nothing to do with him being gay but all to do with his incredible talent, shown in many forms. A good singer he wasn't, but a great performer he was. I heard this on the radio at 5.50 this morning and I hadn't heard it in years. It takes rather a lot for me to grin at that time of the morning, but grin I did and it put me in rather a good frame of mind for the rest of the day until I got to work. As a favourite of the late Queen Mother, you can't help but wonder about the content of the conversations they shared over a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and a tin of Benson and Hedges.

You probably have to be of a certain age to know many of the people mentioned, but everyone will know some of them.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew:
    As you say, enormous style, talent and imagination and this, of course, is a rather jolly and splendid way to start the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get Noel Coward & Cole Porter mixed up. Regardless of this, I find them both entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the name but nothing about the man. I have heard he was good at whatever it was he did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Coward has cleverly applied his own witty lyrics to a Cole Porter song which already had Porter's very brilliant lyrics.

    Coward was talented but I don't believe his body of music/lyrics is a match for Porter's.

    Porter was a genius.

    Both were gay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JayLa, said much better than I. The hour for the viewing must be getting close.

    Jayne, I have another less well known one of his in mind, also amusing.

    Smudgeon, I know less about Porter. If fact I can't remember him performing.

    Interesting life too River, even if self indulgent. Read a bio of him some time.

    I think you are right Victor. Porter's songs would be much better known and probably liked. Trust you to be well educated about both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had only ever heard the Earthy Kitt 'do it' until now. Very clever and witty, thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eartha would be good. I must check her shot at it.

    ReplyDelete