Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Help. Not drowning, just wondering

A couple of questions, if you will indulge me.

Firstly, is anyone familiar with the term herbs? In context, accelerate the car, give it the herbs.

I unconsciously used it tonight and I don't why it came from the tip of my tongue. R mentioned that the dishwasher seemed to be running forever. Well, when the you have a meal, combined with an overnight stay by Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo, the dishwasher was chockers and not well rinsed. I gave it the full herbs. That is I put it on the highest setting.

Earlier days of computers have been news this week past with the death of the Apple bloke. Terribly young age to die though. Did he sit too long at a computer eating pizza and drinking coke? Pancreatic cancer is usually quite quick. He did well to live as long as he did. While Steve Jobs did some wonderful things with technology, I expect if he hadn't, someone else would have.

Getting off track. In the early days of media organisations being online, one of the first ABC tv shows that I can remember looking at online was a rather weird show. Was it set in Queensland? It featured two blond male twin late teenagers. Something about a hotel perhaps? There were interactive things you could do on the show's ABC website, a rather new experience.

I saw the two guys in Glenferrie Road just after the show finished. They were exactly as they appeared on tv. Anyone remember the show and its name?

15 comments:

  1. Well, I'm totally of no help here. I've never heard herbs used this way and also never saw the show. What good am I/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the show Fat Cow Motel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rubye, I would be gobsmacked if you knew.

    That's it Jeb. How on earth did you remember?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was going to suggest Fat Cow Motel...only saw a couple of eps but it seemed funny.
    Nope, never heard of giving something the herbs, though I've been accused of giving plenty the shytes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these days the saying for accelerating your car is to "Fang It". I also remember Fat Cow Motel which starred from memory Kate Atkinson it was very funny :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of giving anything 'the herbs'. Least, not outside of Amsterdam....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jayne, I think I only watched a couple of episodes too. It was a little weird.

    Fang it. Yes, I've heard of that Windsmoke. Was FCM really funny? My memory of it is so hazy.

    Kath, the opposite of the herbs I mean, which speed up, rather than slow you down like Amsterdam herbs do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Needless to say, I do remember the term 'herb', think the alternative was 'give it the gun'.

    In my case it meant standing up out of the seat of the Malvern Star and pedalling like buggery, hoping that your foot didn't slip off the pedal which would involve an ugly interface with the cross bar and one's recently descended knackers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well LS, it is interesting that you are the only one who does remember. Give it the gun too, yes, although giving a Morry 850cc the gun is a moot point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know the show and have never heard "Herbs" used this way - Don used to use the words "Rev it up" or "Hit it" when I was driving too slow

    ReplyDelete
  11. I smoked herbs, that's about it! Ha ha!
    Yes pancreatic cancer is normally quick, Mum was 5 months from discovery to death, though I guess you never know how long it was there, apparently it is symptomless until it's really severe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hit it T. Actually, I don't think you have ever said what Don called you?

    Fen, I was thinking of you today. I came across on YT the song Mama. I was thinking when your parents get really old frail, it is not such a blow to lose them. But I thought of you losing your mother when she was quite young. Not fair is it hon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, but sometimes I think I'm glad I don't have to see my Mum get ravaged by age. One of my friends has a Grandma with alzheimers and it just breaks my heart the way they just lose their memory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fen, my mother is 77 now. She still makes us laugh, when she forgets to moan on about her medical problems. alzheimers when people get quite old is perhaps sad, but pretty much often a part of ageing. Young alzheimers must be bad.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.