Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Gog and a Happy Jewish New Year

I am a bit late with this one. I have been a lernin, so you may as well too.

I very much dislike when private enterprise takes over possession of public assets, often temporarily. Building sites where roads are blocked and pedestrians detoured are particularly irksome to me. It is often done to save money by the builder.

As you can imagine, a religious organisation taking over public areas also bugs me. As you can see in one of these photos, the synagogue across the road has taken over parking spaces for its own use. This happens every year and it initially made me annoyed, but then I thought further. What if it is made too difficult for people to gain access to the synagogue? They may choose one further away where there is easy parking and then what happens to the synagogue? Worst case if it was no longer used, it could be pulled down and high rise apartments could be built and we lose our view. So ever the pragmatic, I overlook the take over of parking spaces.

Anyway, I thought I better learn about this celebration of Jewish New Year. It runs for ten days, beginning with Rosh Hashana and concluding with Yom Kippur. I read various opinions of which is the most sacred day, inconclusively. I will say Rosh Hashana is the serious day and Yom Kippur the fun day.

I like the 'gog' lit up at night, as it is on these special days. I fiddled with the camera settings a bit and the second photo below is the best night time shot I have ever taken. It is crooked because I had to rest the camera on the balcony rail. While my hands are extremely nimble on a keyboard, they are hopeless for trying to hold anything still.


9 comments:

  1. I am like you Andrew I am highly irritated when public spaces are appropriated by various groups, not always private enterprise. We have an annual street race here and a number of the downtown roads are suddenly closed on a weekend so that a small number of petrol heads can go roaring around like mad things. Never mind the disruption to non petrol heads or to the business unfortunate enough to be in the race zone. But then I am just old and grumpy perhaps people love street racing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jews have those 10 days to review their past year, consider their future year and commit themselves to a more moral lifestyle. God opens the Book of Life on Rosh Hashana and closes it on Yom Kippur. If you weren't written up in the Book of Life during that 10 days of self analysis, that's it! Curtains! Mincemeat!

    Yom Kippur is the miserablest day of the year - no water, no food, no bathing, no new clothes, apologies to anyone you ever hurt and LOTS of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BDT, we suffer here very badly from road closures for public events, some of them for private profit. A while ago a footpath was blocked off and I was supposed to cross to the other side of the road and then cross back again. Instead I checked for traffic and walked on the quiet road. The controller person was not happy with me and tried to stop me and I had to dodge around him. The authorities don't mind closing public walkways as there is often compensation to the authority.

    Thanks Hels. So just because words sound happy, Yom Kippur, they may not be and I need to actually do some research. That is what blog mates are for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can kind of see it for Rosh Hashanah since it is their day of days, but what gets me is when they block everything off for football. Having grown up in a college town, they were always taking over the roads and blocking things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how 'they' never the block the entrance to the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The parade at Norwood was closed last Sunday between two major crossroads, for a fashion parade! Not so bad I suppose, I get more annoyed when the bike race is on, that Tour Down Under thing, that REALLY disrupts traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need a wee tripod or a gorilla pod. It does look good all lit up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That synagogue isn't bad. It's kind of pretty.

    I think it's okay for Jews to take over parking spaces for a day or two. They don't do it all year...right? That would be awful.

    I wonder if Jews are even supposed to drive on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. They're not supposed to drive on the Sabbath, but maybe the High Holy Days have different rules.

    I'll have to go look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rubye, it seems to be a world wide problem then.

    Quite so Victor, unless there is a site ban.

    River, there is a big car race going to be snapped up. Do you want it back?

    Fen, yes, I do need a tripod but I would rarely use it. A gorilla pod?

    Only once a year Dina, although also when the Israeli PM attended. The security was full on. Good question about driving. The ones who attend this synagogue don't seem particularly orthodox,so I don't think they worry about driving on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.