Monday, October 10, 2011

Change the World - Click here

In days of old if I wanted to change something, I would have write a letter, make a phone call or have a conversation. Now, all I have to do is click 'like' on a Facebook page, and the world changes. Well, maybe it is not quite so simple. Nothing beats the personal when it comes to activism but I suspect Facebook pages set up as a protest or to get something done do play their part in the bigger mix.

I joined the Facebook group to save the Leas Lift in Folkestone, England. Saved it has been but I think this video was taken before the campaign to save the lift got underway. The lift works by gravity and the transfer of water. Pretty cool hey, and it uses little energy. You only need to watch a minute or so to see it working but the whole clip is interesting enough.

7 comments:

  1. Very ingenious and no carbon foot print either :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you are correct.

    If Facebook pages set up as a protest do play their part in the bigger mix and are a successful part of political activism, I have a list of priorities that might be usefully tackled in this way. We could start with Banyule, or Windsor Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:23 pm

    They remind me of an old tram.

    When I was in Seoul recently, I saw a water-operated clock in the palace museum. It was huge - the size of a small room - but very interesting to watch; balls dropped, wheels turned and dolls popped up! V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not even any valves? Have to send a clip of this to my bro. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very tiny carbon footprint Windsmoke.

    Hels, I thought there was one set up for Save the Windsor. Seems the GFC has at least delayed the building of the abomination. I hope to write something on Banyule. Does no harm, at least.

    V, I would have loved seeing that. Sounds a bit like the game Mousetrap.

    Fruitcake, if you watch the whole clip, it kind of explains the water transfer that makes it work. You could call them kind of open valves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MC, I expect they travel far and wide to see it.

    ReplyDelete