Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Young Drivers

Yes, young drivers. They drive badly. They speed. They take drugs. They drink and drive. They are so aggressive when they are driving. The message 'speed kills' never seems to get through to them.

Btw, have I ever mentioned that when I was nineteen, I got my Valiant up to 97 miles per hour (157km/h) on a straight stretch of road? I can't define valve bounce, but that is what the engine did. I was so disappointed that I could not crack the ton. The VF 225 cubic inch hemi straight six twin venturi carby motor would just not do it. I should have bought bigger wheels for the car. It would have done it then.

Back then, there was a speed limit, but I think it was variable depending on the conditions. I really can't remember. It was fun to go fast though. I can remember my grandfather taking us in his Zephyr over the Hanover Street rail overpass in Oakleigh at a speed where the car seemed to leave the ground. But my father never drove too fast, as he weaved his drunken way home from the pub. He was a safe and conservative driver.

Ah, the good old days. Some remember them as such and decry the present nanny state. I am not so sure that they were really always the good old days.

12 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the current move towards 'Nanny state-ism' however some of the stories people tell of the good old days are slightly frightening!
    Mind you, today I watched an elderly lady making a right turn in the outside of two lanes almost run a younger lady off the road. Seems she was unable to keep to her designated lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the terrible young drivers never did learn and now they're the terrible old drivers that shouldn't be allowed on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find female P plate drivers the worst for cutting you off and doing u-turns in front of you. I recall one time a mate of a mate had a FE Holden sedan and we travelled at 110 mph from the Tullamarine Airport to Essendon Airport i don't think the wheels were touching the road and plenty of vibration, very scary :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fen, older drivers scare me. At least younger people have skills, even if they do wrong.

    River, there is some truth in that I reckon.

    Windsmoke, I agree, aggressive young females seem the worst to me. Aggressive and ever so self righteous. I don't think I would want to be in an FE over 60 mph. They handled like rowboats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scored my ton when on 'L' plates driving somewhere between Sydney and Adelaide ... in the days before speed cameras! It was exciting at the time, but I sure didn't have the skills to salvage the situation if there'd been any problems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a long list of young drivers (and this was in the country) I went to school with in the 60's who never made it to the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LS, if your experience matches mine, and it does so far contemporaries of that time who died in mvas, how many may have doubts about their sexuality? There was a fair share in my part of the state.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red, yep, we got away with it. Now I expect we are very anti speeding. We know how wrong it could go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like speed to terrify a non-driver. Soldier boyfriend, Morris Minor and some tinkering at the motor pool and we could make the pukapunyal run in a very very short time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jah Teh, you have reminded me that there was worse cars for holding the road than EE Holdens, and one was a Morris Minor. I didn't know you were fond of men in uniform?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Couldn't stand the AirForce, definitely the sailor's sweetheart.
    Andrew, you must have heard me tell of the school formal when I arrived with a soldier on each arm. Count on me to make an entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I vaguely recall a tale about a strumpet at a school formal.

    ReplyDelete