Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Just another Sunday

In the last photo you can see a bag of satay powder. R uses it when making, surprise, satay. It was readily available in Asian grocers but suddenly disappeared from the shelves. We hunted in Prahran and Balaclava but none was to be found. If I want satay again, we will have to find some, although R tells me he can buy it in small uneconomical packets. So, we took a trip to Victoria Street, Richmond.

As we left the Swanston Street tram, I could see a tram of a certain model in Collins Street. I knew that model tram normally runs on the 109 to Victoria Street, so with a little effort, we caught it. I then started to think. Hang on, the route 48 now also runs along Collins Street. Will we swing right at Spring Street, or left as we want to? Why did I not glance up at the destination? At the next stop the information display showed the 109 as being due 'now'. We were ok.

After a nice cup of coffee outdoors at a cafe and warding off the prowling beggars we went to Daiso, or the Japanese $2.80 shop if you like. It is great fun to wander the aisles and work out what each odd looking product is for.

Last time we were there I posed the question to my readers what is the purpose of the Beautipon. I did not receive a satisfactory answer. I am still wondering. As you can see, the Beautipon is still available and sits along side the Face Roller, and the Nose Ball Roller.


If you are going to wear men's panties, I think you would want them a bit tizzier than these. They are probably what Frank and Benny of the Two Fat Lattes refer to as manties.


You don't have an illuminated ear pick in your bathroom cupboard? Come on, it is only $2.80 for such an essential.


It was not late, so we decided to visit the large Swedish furniture shop at Victoria Gardens. A new one has just opened in an outer suburb, the largest in the southern hemisphere. Did I see that the path that must be followed inside is 2.5 kilometres long?

The tram passed by the drug dealers standing on their usual corner. I noticed them immediately, but oddly the passing police in a car seemed oblivious to them. Police seem to be ever more oblivious to what is in front of the eyes. I suspect it not their fault, but something that comes from higher up.

We left Victoria Gardens after a couple of hours. Audrey was beaming down on us as we waited for the tram back to town. You know, I have never seen her when she is lit up at night and active.


Our purchases for the day. The stainless steel soap is odd, but I couldn't resist it, just to see if it worked. I learnt later it is actually for removing odours from you hands. Next time I have odoured hands, I will try it. The cake cups are gorgeous. Little Jo has already cut out some of the pictures in them and stuck them in various places. Not sure why R bought the atomiser. I bought the duster to dust skirting boards.

10 comments:

  1. Isn't that typical when you go out to buy one item and end up buying more than you expected, sounds like you had a fun day out all the same :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun day out, I should get in there to have a gander.
    Just in case there's something I
    "need" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stainless steel soap works! Using it for years now and it doesn't flake!

    If satay sauce would go off the shelves in this country I think a riot would start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh I've been after stainless steel soap coz I hate it when I get onion hands. As for those illuminated ear things, haven't they heard of the rule nothing bigger than your elbow in your ear!

    So excited there's now a Swedish store closer to me. I almost went this weekend but the cold weather de motivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Windsmoke, like going to a $2 shop intending to buy nothing and coming out with an armful of rubbish.

    Jayne, full of things that you can be sure you need.

    Peter, the fondness for satay is connected to one of your former colonies?

    Fen, give us a report after you visit. I thought the soap would be good for onion hands. In my case, perhaps hamburger hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried the stainless steel soap and only used it once. I hated the way it felt in my hands. I prefer real soap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Indonesian cuisine is highly regarded overhere, even if it's a toned down version of the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. River, I feel I must now go and try it to see if I don't like the feel.

    Interesting Peter. I am little surprised by your country persons' adventurous tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Daiso, they have so many products you never knew you needed. And all at one low price.

    Actually in that respect they are lot like Ikea.

    Indonesia was a Dutch colony, So I guess Satay is to Holland as Tea is to England...

    Everyone loved the opium!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ben, I liken it to $2 shops. You enter for a browse and come out with a load of shit.

    ReplyDelete