Sunday, September 11, 2011

A decade on

Daniel has some thoughts on the US date format. The unusual date format just confuses me. I have to stop and think about it. Sometimes, on some sites, that may be American, you are never sure what the date is. For internet novices, it can be a nightmare.

I have always struggled with 9/11, firstly because of the reverse date format, and secondly the store 711. Maybe at this tenth anniversary of 9/11, I finally have it straight.

Now, I planned to commemorate 9/11 with telling you about the town of Al Qaeda in, I thought, Iowa in the United States. There are various spelling of Al Qaeda and I don't know how the name of the town is spelt . I just heard mention of the town and bit about it either on the radio or in a podcast. Now I think I dreamt it. I thought I would take a slightly different slant on 9/11, a kind of positive story.

Here is what my memory, possibly faulty, recalls. Google is just not recognising any spelling variation I can come up with.

The town is in Iowa, named after an Algerian freedom fighter from the late nineteenth century. The town now has a sister city in Algeria. One Middle Eastern born lad and his boyfriend run a successful restaurant there. The town has suffered severe flooding. The ex and late mayor was very interested in the history of the town, and even travelled to Algeria. One day townsfolk alerted the mayor that there was an Algerian in town. They knew he was Algerian because he had dark looks and black hair. Turned out that they were correct, but he was a fellow Iowan too.

Ah well, the best laid plans of mice and men............

It is just so not going to be cheery day in the United States today, as the day begins, at 6.40 in New York. We in Australia have already celebrated the day (slap his face somebody). Apart from some very dull radio, I have avoided hearing much about it. For you in the US, I hope it is a cleansing day for you. Ten years has gone by now. While living memory will always remember the day, the nightmare must pass, meant in a general rather than personal manner. Personal memories of dead loved ones linger for a very long time.

Among the many blog posts I have read about the day, Victor's post is worth a read.

6 comments:

  1. Is Elkader, Iowa the one you were thinking of, Andrew?

    "The city is named after Algerian leader Abd al-Qadir al-Jaza'iri. When the community was platted in 1846, the founders, Timothy Davis, John Thompson, and Chester Sage decided to name it for the young Algerian who was leading his people in resisting the French colonial takeover of Algeria."

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it is so sad for the families involved, it is so much hype, I think it is propaganda for the war effort. People die in horrid circumstances everyday. Somalia comes to mind and have we forgotten Japan already?

    ohh something for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you Timespanner. Ask an historian.... The moment has passed, but I pleased to learn that it is not April 1 and is a real memory. Must say, I am puzzling how you worked it out though.

    IQBG, I had a thought to check road death in the US statistics against the 9/11 stuff, but I think they need our kindness on this day. Thanks for the mention. I recall writing something where I dissed our armed services in some way and I thought you would hate me for it. I can actually separate the personal from what I write and I don't like to offend. So how is the lad going then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one who gets confused about the funny dates. May all the victims of 9/11 "Rest In Peace" :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Must say, I am puzzling how you worked it out though."

    I went a bit lateral. Entered America town Algeria in Google, it came up with a .pdf entitled "
    Algerian Enriches Rural America One Plate of Couscous at a Time," and that gave me the name of the town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed Windsmoke, goes without saying.

    TS, I do believe now almost everything is on the net. It is working out the correct search terms to find the information that requires skill.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.