Friday, September 23, 2011

Come on in Sol, the water's fine

Solly Lew is having a pool party for the general public. All are welcome. Maybe I will revise my opinion on philanthropy by the rich, US style. Solly has built the public a swimming pool, an infinity pool no less. While it looks like it might be attached to his home, he has built it on Crown ground, so it is clearly for the use of the public.

I wouldn't mind doing a lap or two. I'll try not to wee in it but its the cold you know.


Quite an important principal is at stake here. Crown land is public land. Not land to be annexed for use of the rich. I thought we got past that a couple of hundred years ago.

Conservationists and local residents are planning a protest. Good on them. It will be interesting to see how this one ends up. The rich taking over public land and being permitted to by the state government? Will Premier Ballieu's sister Kate (recommended reading, by Dina) be at the barricades again? Which way will the council swing? Pro new money or pro old establishment. Will anti Semitism be brought up?

I am reminded of a visit to Pipeworks. I remember nothing about Pipeworks or what it is (a market?), except for a car. We walked past the car in a car park. The car said to us, 'Move away. You are too close'. Of course intrigued, we moved closer. 'You are in a prohibited area. Do not touch the car. Move away'. It was pre mobile phone days and I expect it would now also say, 'I am calling the police'. I told my Thai friend at work about the amusing car, and he said that if it was in Thailand, the car would quickly be smashed up. Apparently that is how Thai's deal with infringements of a public space.

Of course in Australia that doesn't happen, but if the local residents, protesters and conservationists smashed up Sol's pool, who would want to see them prosecuted?

Now where is my six pound sledgehammer?

7 comments:

  1. As you say Andrew a very important principal, I hope he is made to remove the whole thing and restore the land.
    Personal rights, including property are an important foundation for our society but they cut both ways. Rich folk with presumably more to lose should be the first people to support this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon if its built on public land it should be for the use of the general public no excuses. If the general public is forbidden to use this swimming pool then it should be demolished i'll bring along my jack hammer :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you a hand with that sledgehammer and by the way do you remember when every country town had a Common - an area which all the people could use - Whatever happened to the Town Common?

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'mon, admit that the song "There's a pool party at Solomon Lews" is stuck in your head since Red played it the other morning lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you hear Red the other morning and his little ditty about Lew's pool? It had me chuckling all morning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Maybe there's a way of infiltrating the pool and drilling a leak into the side so all the water drains out? Either that or call a protest 'picnic BBQ' at the location!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big Dog, I think that is the obvious way to go. Yet I remember when a significant building was constructed and it breached height limits, a small fine of a couple of thousand dollars was imposed. Chicken feed compared to the profits made by breach.

    Windsmoke, join me with my sledgehammer. We'll fix it.

    MC, interesting point. We did not call them a common though. But yes, public land that was not used. I remember it.

    Jayne, I missed the song, but I may well have caught a bit of the conversation.

    No Fen, I missed it. I must have stepped into the shower or something.

    Red, I think a picnic or similar is being organised. The pool has been drained for safety reasons, evidently.

    ReplyDelete