Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chundering

Firstly clear your head of any idea that chundering is associated with bunburying. I don't think the word chunder is on anyone's lips nowadays. It came to the fore with the appalling seventies Australian movie The Adventures of Barry McKenzie. It means, or meant, vomiting, especially after drinking too much. My favourite pseudonym for vomiting after drinking too much is riding the porcelain bus, that is when you hang over the toilet bowl while you throw up. I vaguely recall riding the porcelain bus once at least. The following morning, I wished I could just die.

Yet, in my school days, chunder meant something different. It was perhaps what is now known as a wedgie. An unofficial school sport was pulling up a fellow male student's underpants at either the front or the back to a point of extreme discomfort.

At the local Latrobe River freezing swimming hole where the water flowed down from snow capped Mount Baw Baw, this sport was modified to include bathers. But worse, coarse river sand was thrown into the swimming togs first and then you were chundered.

Straight boys can be very queer at times as AFL footballers often show us.

11 comments:

  1. ...and not just footballers of the AFL variety.

    I can't say that I have any memory from my youth of chundering as the word for what is now a wedgie. Maybe that descriptor stayed south of the Murray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive my ignorance but i've never heard of the word "bunburying" please enlighten me :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can recall riding the porcelain bus more than once I'm afraid. The very first time was when I first smoke a cigarette. I was so dang sick! And then once with tequila. Ugh!!! I think I was 18 and then 21.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crikey Moses, I often use the word chundering or technicolour yawn but I haven't heard of that meaning of the word before.
    Feral Teen was wincing in pain as he read of the river sand....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We still use the word 'chunder' in our house and usually have a couple of classic examples of the stuff on our pavement on Sunday mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of bunburying either. What is that please?
    Where I grew up, chunder always meant vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victor, appears it might have been a localised word to West Gippsland in Victoria.

    Windsmoke and River, bunburying is explained in Oscar Wilde's play The Importance of being Ernest. I just used it because it sounded naughty. Do see a video of the play. It is really good.

    Townada, so you have never touched either ever since! Love that you say dang.

    Jayne, you dare show my posts to the Feral? The worst aspect was you had to go back into the icy water to wash it out.

    Kath, I have a vague memory of such incidents happening to you back in the days when you lived in a civilised place.

    River, one of the main reasons for mentioning it was that my blog gets archived by the national library. The alternative meaning that I knew is now recorded for history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't say that I never touched cigarettes again, but I never touched tequila again. Not that I never touched liquor again. Gosh dang it all anyway.
    Ordinarily I talk like a sailor but since it seems to offend many people in this part of my country I have reverted to dang and darn and gosh. I know, how hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Towanda, is there a touch of the bible belt where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty demeaning when the cool tiles of the bathroom floor and a head held down over a toilet bowl are actually a comfort...at least you didn't drown in your own vomit - not that i would know any of this! Pure as the driven slush me

    ReplyDelete
  11. MC, and all thoughts of toilet germs are dismissed.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.