Friday, September 16, 2011

Another Mother Day

Depending when I post this, last week I had a Mother day. While Sister bangs on about Mother, moaning and complaining, I am resigned to giving over my time to Mother. Whatever she wants to do, at her pace, I don't care. I have committed the time. She can do what she wants at her pace.

Lunch at Nanny's restaurant, which is what Little Jo call the Scottish take away food joint. There was an older very competent woman behind the counter and out and about. You don't normally see such a person at Maccas. The place seemed to be running like a well oiled machine. I did not dare have coffee, but otherwise the visit was fine.

Seedlings for the garden at the very large tin shed hadware store. Look up Mother, look at the size of those fans on the underside of the roof. Eventually she saw them.

To the laundrette to wash her loose coverings and doona coverings. Apparently her larger but same brand washing machine as ours is frail and not up to washing such things. It makes noises, you know Andrew. I knew better than to argue. At the laundrette, Mother, have you got coins for the washing machine? No Andrew, but the lady in the dry cleaner next door will. I will back in a moment. Sure enough, she knew the lady and came back with adequate coins. Must say, I was struggling. I had not been in a public laundry for many a year. There are good reasons for having your own washing machine and drying facilities.

I had to laugh at one sign, among many, in the laundrette. It said, if you bring your wet washing from home, please be aware that domestic washing machines don't always spin the clothes as dry and consequently, drying may take longer. I don't think so. I took the washing out and it was twice as wet as it would have been had it come out of our washing machine at home. The large gas tumble dryers were quite effective, taking only twenty minutes.

I left her in the laundry while I went off and did some shopping, including buying her some diabetic chocolate. Mother has decided she is diabetic. Apparently her glucose levels were elevated when she last visited her doctor. Mother, nothing to do with the barley sugar you keep eating and no doubt had while you were in the waiting room?

Mother did not like the supermarket I went to, so instead she had to go to the other for 'just a couple of things'. I waited in the car. I am not sure how long she took. I read the paper for a while and then fell asleep.

Back at Mother's, empty the vacuum cleaner of almost pure talcum powder, clean down some cobwebs, put rubbish bins out and a few other odds and ends.

It wasn't as if I wasn't warned. I heard about the congestion inbound on City Link. Sure enough. A fifty minute trip turned into ninety minute trip. 'Tis a queer thing that you pay for the privilege of sitting in four lanes of stationary traffic.

10 comments:

  1. Andrew,

    do you know the Leonard Cohen song called The Future? Each stanza ends with the line "I've seen the future, brother: it is murder".

    This is how we are prepared for old age. We see our once strong, intelligent parents becoming frail and a bit silly. I can already feel some of my own wheels falling off :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a good lad, your place is assured in Heaven ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to the fact that we do become our mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherish your mother when you can because you'll miss her when she's gone :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Andrew:
    We admire totally your philosophy when visiting your mother - allow time, keep patient and give her time as well as going along with all the quirky ideas - not this supermarket, that one! We have all been there with parents and, doubtless, we are all developing our own 'little ways' without even being aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm proud of the way you treat your mother, the time commitment, not hurrying her, letting her choose the places to shop. She has raised a good son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hels, I am not a Cohen person, but I get what you are saying. R is thinking about retirement. While I have a long time to work yet, it is to the point where soon I won't have to. And then what? All the things I struggle to find time for will be easy and I can do even more. Yet, I wonder if it will satisfy? I think it will, but who knows. Mother is still sharp as a tack. She has always been silly, because it suits her to not have to worry about things seriously. And Hels, it's the stairs that worry me. I used to run up and down them. Now, I look for a lift or escalators.

    Jayne, not sure about heaven. Might be a bit boring. Harps do grate after a while and I have no use for vestial virgins.

    Towanda, as I get older, I see traits of my mother in me, but also traits of my father.

    I suppose I will Windsmoke. I will certainly remember her fondly.

    JayLa, it is selfish on my part. I used to want to hurry her up and make her be sensible. Now I find her easy to deal with as long as just allocate the time. Indeed we are developing our own foibles. R has just fallen asleep in front of the tv, a fairly new but regular occurrence.

    Thanks River. It took me a long time to 'get it'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew,

    the rot has set in here too :( I used to make every course for dinner from scratch. Now I buy the quiche, for example, and just make the one veg and one salad myself. In a few years time, I will be buying everything *sad sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Better to go with the flow that you can't avoid sometimes than to stress out about it - just do it is sometimes the best way - I must remember your "mother's Tales" when I am older

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hels, you are the downhill slope to tv dinners, except it can be such a bother to heat them.

    MC, I seem to recall your own mother was quite nice. Maybe you will become her.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.