Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Old Train Fest

I like watching old steam trains take off from stations. Smoke, steam and the slow increase in the choof choof as the beast starts to show its power. I don't make a habit of looking at old steam trains on You Tube, but I discovered there is another aspect to a steam train starting off. That is, sometimes they don't do so smoothly. Their wheels spin and the engine clatters. Brilliant. That is why some of them have sand to drop on the track, to gain traction. Hey, I am picking up the train lingo.




Ah, then I discovered that it can also happen with diesel electrics. I'd never really thought about it. This engine looks like and old Victorian Railways model.



What more can I find out about old trains? Train travel is so good for the environment compared to car and plane travel. Oh, clagging. That sounds slightly rude. Please don't look at the Urban Dictionary definition. Don't do it. A movie tells a thousand words. Remember, this is not a steam train.



I imagined starting a diesel electric train is just a matter of turning on a switch and pressing a button. Apparently not. They can be difficult to start. You get clagging as well with this one. I suppose it eventually gets going and settles down.




7 comments:

  1. I yearn for a steam train ride in the middle of a snowy winter while toasty warm in the carriage as we steam across the landscape of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been on a train ride of any length. One of these days, I'd like to take Amtrak across the country through New Mexico and Arizona. There is a lovely stop at the Winslow, Arizona station, which has been made into a hotel, La Posada. The owner is an artist and has her work displayed throughout the hotel. It is one of my favorite places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching trains also, but lately I enjoy airplanes more.. I am just so happy when I am somewhere near the airport and I see the airplane taking off..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew,
    I've left you an award at http://blueskiessunnydays.blogspot.com/
    Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to do a link within a comment yet. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delightful Jayne.

    Linda, I used to think I would like to driver Route 66, but now I am with you. I rather have someone else drive so that I can look out the window. Thanks for the award. Too kind.

    Marina, while I hate being in airports and the associated nonsense, I find planes quite interesting, although I know little about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrew, thought you might be interested to know we're re-running some classic episodes of Tim Fischer's "Great Train Show" on 774 digital over the next few weeks, each Saturday night at 9.05pm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks James, but I have saved them all. I may just listen at work tonight though.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.