Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I was only, twenty four hours from Tulsa...

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
And that waving wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.

Out of breath now after my rendition of the rollicking song Oklahoma from the musical by the same name. It is good to find out about places you don't know about, no?

Towanda's (Linda) Blue Skies blog says she lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma, although I think she lives somewhat out of Tulsa, but let us look at Tulsa.

Mother adored Gene Pitney. He sang Twenty Four Hours from Tulsa. So there you go, my sum knowledge of Tulsa.

I will sing again.

Oh, I was only 24 hours from Tulsa,
Ah only one day from your arms

Both great songs.

Onto the Wikipedia details. Greater Tulsa, population about one million, in the county of Tulsa, located at the foothills of the Ozarks in one direction and the rolling Oklahoma plains on the other. Ozarks? Now I am hearing hill billy music and thinking Deliverance, oink oink, and Beverly Hillbillies.

Come listen to a story about a man names Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.

I am in such fine voice today.

The city has highrise buildings, as if that is a recommendation, and is unevenly divided by the Arkansas River. It was a premium oil city but has diversified to meet the economic challenges of the 21st century.

Tulsa hosts the most inland port in the country and has one of the most sophisticated flood control systems in the country. Why?

Its average rainfall is 42 inches, just over 1,000 mm and it seems a lot of rain can fall at once. Try 15 inches in one night, back in 1984. It is hot in the summer, with a maximum of 46c recorded and it can also suffer from high humidity. But it can be cold too, with snow in winter.

Ozone alerts are issued at times when ozone concentrates over the city when there is little wind.

It is also located in 'Tornado Alley', so yep, it cops tornadoes too. As nice as Tulsa might be, the weather is really putting me off. Let's find some positive stuff.

Its topography is varied enough, with hills for the rich people to live on. It has plenty of well vegetated parks and open spaces. In its older areas there is a large number of Art Deco buildings. There are plenty of cultural institutions too.

Population mix?
White 61%
Black 16 %
Hispanic/Latino 12%
and others
with native Americans being less than 4%, which seems a bit on the low side given it was theirs in the first place.

Oh, not so good. Tulsa race riots in 1921 with possibly 300 people killed, mostly black people. 1250 residences destroyed with 10,000 left homeless.

We will wrap with something good. Tulsa businessman Cyrus Avery is known as the father of Route 66. He campaigned for the building of a road to link Chicago to California and the city is known as the birthplace of Route 66. Well, good on him for getting his kicks. I won't sing this time.

13 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew:
    Our sense of Geography is very wobbly when it comes to the states and towns of America so your little lesson here is most welcome!

    And now we shall hold you to blame for these too catchy tunes ringng around our heads which shall probably last the whole day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know anything about Tulsa, so thank you for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane and Lance may not blame you for those brain worm tunes - but I sure as hell will!!

    Maybe Tulsa is an experiemental trial zone - where one could experience all types of weather before deciding what one can/cannot live with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin10:11 pm

    Also the 'soc'es and greasers live there. Remember the novel and film "the Outsiders"..."stay gold, Ponyboy!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. From your weather report, I'd say I'll probably never visit Tulsa. All that heat and cold and tornadoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JayLa, suffer the music. I am not so good at US geography either. But why should it be? I have some geographic knowledge of every continent. I have focused on none.

    Marina, you are expected to think I live in Western Europe. But did you know where Tulsa is?

    Red, I think I have to go back and listen to the full Gene Pitney song. Interesting thought about Tulsa.

    Martin, I don't remember the movie, so therefore I have to check online. Still not clear. I will read the movie synopsis.

    River, I have issues with any city that can have a 40 degree day in summer and snow in winter. Too extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for teaching me about Oklahoma. I don't think I've ever been there; although it's right next to us.

    Tim went there on 9/11. I think that's how I remember it; that and the Oklahoma city bombing. Probably the tornadoes too.

    I didn't know anything about the race riots. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Dina, it was a good place for Tim to be on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have been to the place" where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain".

    A VERY strange place to land in for one's first visit to the US of A.

    If my memory serves me well (after the passing of some 35 years) Billy Thorpe had a radio show on one of the Okie stations. Strange, but apparently true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ... and along with Del Shannon and Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney was one of my favorite singers at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never quite got Del Shannon. Well, that is a curious place land, and the Billy Thorpe connection is even stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a teenager I lived a sheltered life and only attended one live contemporary concert. That was to see Gene Pitney at the old Sydney Stadium. I loved his voice and was secretly in lust with him too.

    The support acts included Twinkle, a British singer. No one I know has ever remembered her and whenever I have mentioned her name to someone they have ridiculed the thought that such a person existed.

    Your post made me look her name up in Wikipedia and sure enough there is an entry for her at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkle_(singer)

    ReplyDelete
  13. He was pretty hot looking Victor. I had certainly not heard of Twinkle. Isn't the net an amazing thing, although I never had much luck looking up Patty Perkins, a pantomime performer I saw as a kid.

    ReplyDelete